New to quail

Michael8427

Chirping
Feb 28, 2021
I’m about to get quail and I have seen the pens or coops that people build , my question is, do they need the same room in the run part of their coop as they do in the place where they sleep ( like square footage ) or do they just sleep in the run , I’m very new so I’m not sure how it all works , also do they need roosts or nesting boxes ? Thank you! ( also any other tips or info I might be forgetting would be appreciated!)

Quail are ground birds, so they don't need perches. They're also not likely to use nesting boxes. There are some articles here that might help you, and I'm including a picture of my setup here as well.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/categories/quail.32/
1618504097103.jpeg

I have 21 quail in a 8x4 ground pen. Scatter some evergreen boughs in their pen. They love to hide around in the branches and nibble at the green stuff. Ground and leaf litter is their version of roosts and coops.
20210330_135738.jpg

20210331_191655.jpg

Those are what I mean by evergreen boughs. We had a storm that night and I wanted some rain/wind protection. In the long run I opted to leave half covered and half open. Hardwoods will work too but the leaves will rot and fall off quicker than the needles. I have a bunch inside as well just laying at angles on the ground. This is what my pen looks like,
20210329_185143.jpg

I’m about to get quail and I have seen the pens or coops that people build , my question is, do they need the same room in the run part of their coop as they do in the place where they sleep ( like square footage ) or do they just sleep in the run , I’m very new so I’m not sure how it all works , also do they need roosts or nesting boxes ? Thank you! ( also any other tips or info I might be forgetting would be appreciated!)
they don't need nest boxes they lay eggs all over

They kind of sleep anywhere. They don't roost either. I have a big grow out pen for my meat quail and I made them these shelters and everything yet they just huddle around in a big circle on the ground all facing inward. Kind of cool though.

My only tip would be to make sure they have good dust bath material/area. Otherwise they are pretty easy! Good luck!

They kind of sleep anywhere. They don't roost either. I have a big grow out pen for my meat quail and I made them these shelters and everything yet they just huddle around in a big circle on the ground all facing inward. Kind of cool though.

My only tip would be to make sure they have good dust bath material/area. Otherwise they are pretty easy! Good luck!
Maybe like paver sand ? ( I say that cause that’s what I use for my chickens dust bathing material that and dirt )

Okay thank you !!

Back
Top Bottom