new to quail

mysilkiebrood

In the Brooder
10 Years
Nov 3, 2009
can someone give some advice on coturnix quaill?? i purchased a male and 3 females and made them a decent coop and have been getting lots of eggs. my first group of eggs produced a single chick. i have kept this chick in the incubator with some chick eggs for about 48 hours. the chick i put in a small childs shoe box lined with paper towel. i used a small jar lid with stones for water, and another small lid with chick starter. the shoe boxs is in a slighlt larger box with 3 other newly hatched chicken chicks., under a brooder light. am i doing things right ?? if not i would like to hear from others as far as raising these lttle guys. thanks

Quail chicks don't have the same reserves as chicken, therefore it is necessary to take them out of the incubator once fluffy and water and feed them asap.

The shoe box will work. I would however line the bottom with a non skid shelf liner or some pine pellets vs the paper towels to prevent the chicks from getting splayed legs (when the legs spread out and the bird can't walk).

As long as the chicks are not huddling or running from the light, I would say you are doing a fine job with your little clutch!

Back
Top Bottom