New to quail

jenniferhenbutt

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 11, 2013
Hello everyone!
I've decided to try my hand at raising quail. I'm still gathering as much information as I can before I start. I'm trying to decide if I want to start with a breeding pair (or trio) and hatch their eggs, or if I should just get eggs and hatch them, or day old chicks. Anyone care to weigh in on that?
Also, if I attempt to hatch eggs and some don't hatch are those eggs still ok to eat?

Fat Daddy

Crowing
11 Years
Dec 11, 2010
Ks
I'd always say hatch eggs! I enjoy the birds, no doubt about that. But after years of hatching 1000's of eggs. I still look forward to it like a child does Christmas! But when most flolks around here speak of "quail" they mean Coturnix. They are the Gold fish of the game bird world... They do best as 4 or 5 hens to each roo. You said pair or trio.... You talking about bob whites or other new world quail? Well I guess you could be talking about Buttons too, but they ain't really quail, more like a canary that don't like to fly! :D Any way you go it's good to meet you. Good luck with your adventure!

EDIT TO ADD: No eating eggs that don't hatch... Use a sling shot to shoot them at the pesky kids next door

Last edited:

jenniferhenbutt

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 11, 2013
Haha you are fun!
Yes I was planning to start with coturnix. I just want to make sure I get absolutely everything I need before I even order eggs.
Does anybody drain the eggs and handpaint them? I've seen some lovely ornaments made from chicken and goose eggs. Maybe that could be something I can do with eggs that don't hatch?

TwoCrows

🌻🐣🌻
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Mar 21, 2011
New Mexico, USA
My Coop
My Coop
I'd always say hatch eggs! I enjoy the birds, no doubt about that. But after years of hatching 1000's of eggs. I still look forward to it like a child does Christmas! But when most flolks around here speak of "quail" they mean Coturnix. They are the Gold fish of the game bird world... They do best as 4 or 5 hens to each roo. You said pair or trio.... You talking about bob whites or other new world quail? Well I guess you could be talking about Buttons too, but they ain't really quail, more like a canary that don't like to fly!
big_smile.png
Any way you go it's good to meet you. Good luck with your adventure!

EDIT TO ADD: No eating eggs that don't hatch... Use a sling shot to shoot them at the pesky kids next door
Ha!

If you ever need a pick me up, Bill is the guy to turn to. He will have you rolling in the isles!!

Good luck on your quail adventures! :)

Top Bottom