New to raising backyarders

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by hbutterfield, Jun 18, 2009.

1. hbutterfield

hbutterfield Hatching

Jun 18, 2009
    Hi All,
    I am just getting into the backyard chickens and I have 6 Rhode Island red hens and 1 rooster. I built a 4X8 coop and plan to free range the chickens once they are big enough to let out. The design of the coop is simple I went with a single slant roof, but I have a couple of questions. I live in south carolina and it gets pretty warm here and I was thinking about making the siding hinged so that during the summer time I could lower/raise sections to allow air flow and then during the winter put them back to keep in the warmth. any suggestions? I haven't quite finished it yet will post photo when done.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Free Ranging

Feb 2, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    First, I suggest you read Pat's Ventilation Page. It is excellent.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1642-VENTILATION

Then, I'd provide as much ventilation as I could without creating drafts in winter and without compromising the predator protection of the coop. Having panels you can open up in summer is great but you also need plenty of draft-free ventilation in the winter.

Good luck!

3. SimplyForties

SimplyForties Songster

May 4, 2009
    Carroll County, Va
    That's a great idea! I live in a hot weather climate too and love your idea of a convertible hot weather/cold weather coop. I may have to steal that! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: