New to raising chickens - and excited to get started!

TexasChickenhopeful

Hatching
8 Years
Mar 23, 2011
Hello all,

We've recently decided to move from our home in downtown Austin, to a rural place in Georgetown, Texas. An upside to the move as I've discovered, is that we'll be able to (at least legally and logistically) have and raise chickens for their eggs. I grew up in West Texas, and I'm familiar with chickens, though I know absolutely nothing about where to start as far as the details go. I'll be doing more research in reading in the next few weeks on this of course. I love animals, so I'm excited about the prospect of raising some happy chickens in our back yard!
As for the details, I've never raised my own chickens. And, oh, where to start? We need a coop yes, a good one to keep the pesky racoons from murdering the little lovelies in the night. I've looked some up on Craigslist, and they're quite pricey. The intent we have for raising the chickens is to save money on eggs primarily (those organic free range eggs aren't cheap), to avoid contributing to the poor conditions some chickens are subjected to in the factories, and for the pure enjoyment of it. So, the coop, I'm not terribly crafty, though I'd be much more inclined to give building my own a go, before dropping hundreds of dollars on one, thus negating money saved on eggs. More details: What breed of chicken? To buy older hens already laying, or to buy chicks (I'd love to hand raise some chicks, but as a first timer I'm afraid I might not be up to snuff on the care of baby chicks). I already have an idea that we'd like 2-4 hens. There are only 2 of us who will be eating the eggs (my husband and son - I'm a vegan), though we do have friends who've stated an interest in eggs, so anywhere in the 2-4 range should work for us. A question for any readers regarding chicken care, slightly off topic, and a concern of mine: What upkeep to chickens require on a daily basis, and would it be difficult for a novice to come in and provide said care while we are out of town? We travel to and fro California a few times a year, and before I get a head of myself, I need to make sure this will fit with our lifestyle. We will have a dog sitter coming out to tend to our pooch while we are away anyway, though I'm not sure how unusual of a request chicken care might be for a dog sitter. While on the subject of the dog: Are dogs naturally predatory of chickens? My dog is fairly laid-back, and well-fed, though I'd hate to get the chicks and later discover poochy has/develops a chicken fixation. Also, what about cats? I've considered adopting a kitten now that we'll have some space, and the cat won't be forced to use a litter box (and I won't be forced to clean it!), though I'm not sure what the odds are if the kitten was raised up around the chicks/chickens, that the cat might later attempt to make a bird dinner.
All for now! Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

-Lesley

welcome-byc.gif
You've come to the right place to learn everything you need to know!!
thumbsup.gif

Welcome....and there was just a craigslist post for a large dog kennel (these can be remodeled for a coop/run) in Georgetown. I dont know how fancy you want to go, or how much work you want to put in yourself, but you can search Craigslist for sheds/storage units as well as kennels and fencing supplies. Good luck

Amazing, Lesley. I just moved north of Georgetown from south Austin.

Get some chicks! It's fun! It'll take 5 or 6 months before they start laying, though.

Good luck!

-Ray

ChiefCuster,

Any suggestions as to where I might get chicks, since you are in my area? I've read to avoid farm supply shop chicks, due to the sex-ing issue, and presumably a few others. The importance of buying from a reputable breeder was written about somewhere I read. Though, I'll need to do more research to find out how important this is, since we won't be eating the hens or doing anything with them aside from giving them a (hopefully) happy life as our pets and egg layers. I passed a tractor supply type store on the way out to our new house today, and I'm sure I could pick up some chicks there - but, I might be more inclined to to get them from an experienced breeder (or someone who knew what he/she was talking about) , to avoid picking up a rooster (and having no idea what to do with him!), and also if there are more important factors at play, such as the quality of the chick being parallel to the quality of the eggs she will produce, temperament, etc..

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
from Indiana!
frow.gif

Usually like TSC or a farm store has a bin of pullets. If your just wanting eggers get the red sexlinks
smile.png
The males will be a white color and the females will be a redish/brown. That is if they have them
smile.png

AC

Welcome to BYC! I started with chickens over the summer and the people of BYC have been great. Please visit my BYC Page for my blog links that you may find informative or amusing.

Some suggestions. Ask at the feed store(s) about who has chickens for sale. That is how I got pullets at point of lay.

Also, build your own coop. I was foolish and built a walk in coop when a elevated short reach-in coop would have served me better.

Finally, dogs love chickens. They are fun, crunchy, and taste good. Plan accordingly.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom