New to raising chickens in Georgia

bardkat

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 3, 2013
Our new chicks arrived from Myers today! We are very excited. We have six chicks - the Rare Layer assortment. I have absolutely no idea what breeds they are, but I know we'll have fun trying to figure it out!

We did what seems like a lot of research, and everywhere we looked, it all pointed back to BYC, so I finally got around to making an account.

In addition to the chicks, we have two dogs and a cat. I'm a little nervous about how they'll all get along, but I know it will work out. For now at least, we have the chicks in a homemade rubbermaid brooder, in the bedroom, with the door closed.

Now we have about a month or so to get the hutch finished...

Wish us luck!

Kathy & Michael
(plus the three kids, 2 dogs,1 cat, and now 6 chicks!)

welcome-byc.gif
Please keep the dogs and cat away from the chickens. You could do a search for "integrating chicks with dogs/chickens

Sad to say, we lost one chick. We had one who was a little "wobbly," but we thought (hoped?) she was going to pull through, as she was eating and drinking (and pooping). :-(

She did not socialize much with the other chicks, and looked very lethargic. She was with us less than 24 hours. We have cleaned and sanitized everything, just in case. Any other ideas/thoughts of what we should do to keep the rest of the girls healthy. I don't know what killed her, but I also don't know whether or not it's contagious. The others still seem to be healthy ...

Back
Top Bottom