New to raising chickens. Need help.

CDS85

In the Brooder
Jul 22, 2015
We just started raising chickens. We have 6 so far. They are about 4 months old and they just started laying the 18th of July. So about 16 weeks old. We have only gotten 4 so far. But I found one that had already been busted because of its soft shell. So that would make five and that one and another were soft shelled. They have all been small. The first two I cooked up and made for my husband and they were gritty tasting. We couldn't see anything in them. Not sure what to make of that. If that is normal. Should we always disregard all the first eggs? And I'm not sure how to tell which hen is laying and which isn't.

Yes, we are giving oyster shells. We were feeding them the pellets after the chick feed, but they weren't hardly touching it so we went back to the crumble but for adults. We have also been giving them some treats. Frozen blocks of corn to help keep them cool. And some meal worm treats. I just went and got them some veggies today so I'll be starting that tomorrow. I believe that is about it so far. We got three more small ones today.

Sometimes, especially if they started that young, they take a while to "get into the groove" of laying. They may not have a fully mature system and they need to work out the kinks. Try offering some scrambled eggs with finely ground shell in them to give them a boost.

Best of luck!

Ok that's great to know. Thank you very much for all your help.
1f600.png

We just started raising chickens. We have 6 so far. They are about 4 months old and they just started laying the 18th of July. So about 16 weeks old. We have only gotten 4 so far. But I found one that had already been busted because of its soft shell. So that would make five and that one and another were soft shelled. They have all been small. The first two I cooked up and made for my husband and they were gritty tasting. We couldn't see anything in them. Not sure what to make of that. If that is normal. Should we always disregard all the first eggs? And I'm not sure how to tell which hen is laying and which isn't.
We just started raising chickens. We have 6 so far. They are about 4 months old and they just started laying the 18th of July. So about 16 weeks old. We have only gotten 4 so far. But I found one thahad already been busted because of its soft shell. So that would make five and that one and another were soft shelled. They have all been small. The first two I cooked up and made for my husband and they were gritty tasting. We couldn't see anything in them. Not sure what to make of that. If that is normal. Should we always disregard all the first eggs? And I'm not sure how to tell which hen is laying and which isn't.

I have the same issue! My hens started laying on the young side, at 4 1/2 months. They are now 5 1/2 months and the eggs have started tasting almost like there’s sand in them. I don’t know what to do to fix this. They eat a layered pellet, Grubbies crumbles, scratch, and some oyster shell. I also give them grubs, watermelon and berries for treats.

Back
Top Bottom