New to raising chickens- Western North Carolina

LillyLoveth

Hatching
Mar 28, 2015
Robbinsville, NC
Hello! My name is Lillian and I am from a small town in western NC. I have recently decided to start raising chickens. It has always interested me and I have always wanted to get my eggs from my backyard and not the grocery store, it just seems like a much healthier option. Also I think raising chickens would be a good experience overall.

I have come to quite a conundrum though. I am unsure about what breed of chicken would be the best for me. Any advice on this would be GREATLY appreciated.
When I looked up the best chickens for beginners one of the one that popped up was the Silkie. I thought I had found the one until I read that they are extremely broody, and do not put out that many eggs. I was almost tempted to get them anyway because they are beautiful creatures, but i decided against it. The next breed that caught my eye was the Buff Orpington. Many people said this was the friendliest breed of chicken, and that it would practically climb into your lap and fall asleep. Who wouldn't want a cuddly chicken? The Buff Orpington seemed ideal for me until I also read that it could be very broody. So if someone could point me in the direction of a friendly breed that is rarely broody, it would be great!

Also, any other advice on raising chickens for a beginner like me would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
smile.png

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Nice to meet you, Lillian!

You are on the right track. Buff orpingtons and silkies are incredibly friendly, docile, affectionate and calm chickens. Buff orpingtons are my personal favorite breed. I just love their personalities, looks and eggs. In my experience of raising them they have not gone broody really at all. This is uncommon. Buff orps are generally a broody breed. But it all depends on the hen. They lay large, brown eggs nearly every day. They are hardy in cold weather and don't do the best heat. They are fine with living in confinement but are also love to free range.

Silkies are loved for their personalities and fluffy feathers. But they are VERY broody. They also are poor layers. But if you are mainly wanting a pet, then defientily look into them.

Other friendly breeds include australorps, barred rocks, speckled sussex, easter eggers, wyandottes, cochins and usually sex links. Most of these breeds are known to go broody but not as often as the silkie. They are also great layers and are cold hardy.

Hope this helps! Best of luck!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Mountain Peeps has given you some great advice here, so I will just welcome you to our flock!

Back
Top Bottom