New to raising chickens- Western North Carolina

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by LillyLoveth, Mar 28, 2015.

1. LillyLoveth

LillyLoveth New Egg

Mar 28, 2015
    Robbinsville, NC
    Hello! My name is Lillian and I am from a small town in western NC. I have recently decided to start raising chickens. It has always interested me and I have always wanted to get my eggs from my backyard and not the grocery store, it just seems like a much healthier option. Also I think raising chickens would be a good experience overall.

I have come to quite a conundrum though. I am unsure about what breed of chicken would be the best for me. Any advice on this would be GREATLY appreciated.
    When I looked up the best chickens for beginners one of the one that popped up was the Silkie. I thought I had found the one until I read that they are extremely broody, and do not put out that many eggs. I was almost tempted to get them anyway because they are beautiful creatures, but i decided against it. The next breed that caught my eye was the Buff Orpington. Many people said this was the friendliest breed of chicken, and that it would practically climb into your lap and fall asleep. Who wouldn't want a cuddly chicken? The Buff Orpington seemed ideal for me until I also read that it could be very broody. So if someone could point me in the direction of a friendly breed that is rarely broody, it would be great!

Also, any other advice on raising chickens for a beginner like me would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you [​IMG]

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Nice to meet you, Lillian!

You are on the right track. Buff orpingtons and silkies are incredibly friendly, docile, affectionate and calm chickens. Buff orpingtons are my personal favorite breed. I just love their personalities, looks and eggs. In my experience of raising them they have not gone broody really at all. This is uncommon. Buff orps are generally a broody breed. But it all depends on the hen. They lay large, brown eggs nearly every day. They are hardy in cold weather and don't do the best heat. They are fine with living in confinement but are also love to free range.

Silkies are loved for their personalities and fluffy feathers. But they are VERY broody. They also are poor layers. But if you are mainly wanting a pet, then defientily look into them.

Other friendly breeds include australorps, barred rocks, speckled sussex, easter eggers, wyandottes, cochins and usually sex links. Most of these breeds are known to go broody but not as often as the silkie. They are also great layers and are cold hardy.

Hope this helps! Best of luck!

3 people like this.
  3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined! :)

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Mountain Peeps has given you some great advice here, so I will just welcome you to our flock!

5. LillyLoveth

LillyLoveth New Egg

Mar 28, 2015
    Robbinsville, NC
    Thank you so much for your advice! I have decided to go with the Buff Orpingtons.

6. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Awesome! Good luck to you!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to BYC, think you will be very pleased with your Buff orps.

8. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    Hello :frow and welcome to BYC!

9. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

10. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello [​IMG]and Welcome to BYC![​IMG]

Glad to have you join! Feel free to make yourself at home!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by