New to raising chickens, what are they?

efinger89

Hatching
Jan 4, 2016
My wife and i just got our baby chicks about 4 months ago and now that they're about full sized we'd like to know what some of them are. It was a mixed brood when we bought the chicks. Thanks in advance for your help!

The fist one we can't decide on is whether or not it's a light brown leghorn or a welsummer.
The second one is reddish in color with some black tail feathers and we just plain don't know.
The third is the mostly brown with white spots and has a small puff on it's head.
The fourth is mostly white with brown spots and is a polish of some sort.

My wife and i just got our baby chicks about 4 months ago and now that they're about full sized we'd like to know what some of them are. It was a mixed brood when we bought the chicks. Thanks in advance for your help!

The fist one we can't decide on is whether or not it's a light brown leghorn or a welsummer.
The second one is reddish in color with some black tail feathers and we just plain don't know.
The third is the mostly brown with white spots and has a small puff on it's head.
The fourth is mostly white with brown spots and is a polish of some sort.

Barabanter or perhaps some sort of Iclandic (interesting coloration)
Welsummer could be leghorn. You will know when you get eggs from her.
Tolbunt Polish (Lucky buy there)
big_smile.png

I would say production red or such but there is no comb visible yet so not entirely sure
Pretty little group you have.

Last edited:
Why would you say lucky buy about the Polish? I will say it's my wife's favorite. We have a black jersey giant & black australorp as well

Polish are supposed to have white skin not yellow. I think the crested ones are some sort of really cute mixed breed or possibly just a breed that I'm not familiar with. The red is probably a production red. The other is a light brown leghorn. A welsummer would have red earlobes and yours has the white earlobes of a leghorn.

The one with the gold around her neck might be a cream legbar I don't know for sure but she sorta has the coloring, they lay bluish eggs if it is. (meyer hatchery has some that look like her)

That's where they came from, I don't live too far from the hatchery. They also have the light brown leghorn and welsummer so that's why I was confused

Back
Top Bottom