New to raising chickens

MGChickenRanch

Chirping
Jul 25, 2020
This is my first time raising chickens. I ordered 8 day old chickens of any variety. Ended up with 3 Dominiques, 1RIR, 1 Golden Buff (or aka Golden Comet), I Light Brown Leghorn, all hens. Then a Buff Brahma Rooster and a Partridge Plymouth Rock Rooster. They are now 17 weeks old. Sadly I know that one of the roosters will have to go, but they are both very beautiful and sweet. However I have a question for you more experienced people. All of these chickens except the RIR and the Rock rooster (who are still quite friendly) are extremely affectionate and cuddly. I think they would sit on my lap and cuddle all day if I could let them. Especially the Brahma rooster and the Golden Buff. My question is, will this continue or will they grow out of this cuddly stage? They have been like this from day one

Welcome to BYC. They will get out what you put into them... (So they'll stay friendly if you keep babying them.) Except for the rooster.

The rooster may behave well, attack you or try to keep the hens from you. At this point, no way to know until he grows up. Especially right around 1.5 years. If he makes it to 2 years friendly he'll probably always be friendly.

This is my first time raising chickens. I ordered 8 day old chickens of any variety. Ended up with 3 Dominiques, 1RIR, 1 Golden Buff (or aka Golden Comet), I Light Brown Leghorn, all hens. Then a Buff Brahma Rooster and a Partridge Plymouth Rock Rooster. They are now 17 weeks old. Sadly I know that one of the roosters will have to go, but they are both very beautiful and sweet. However I have a question for you more experienced people. All of these chickens except the RIR and the Rock rooster (who are still quite friendly) are extremely affectionate and cuddly. I think they would sit on my lap and cuddle all day if I could let them. Especially the Brahma rooster and the Golden Buff. My question is, will this continue or will they grow out of this cuddly stage? They have been like this from day one
Do you really want them to "grow out of it"? Mine, still lap sit, at three years old!
-BYC-sign-flash.gif

Hello and welcome to BYC! My RIR rooster is still friendly, not exactly the lap sitting type, and he is 2 1/2 years now. However, despite his gentleness towards me and being a very attentive and protective rooster, he is a bit of a clumsy and rough "lover" with the girls. He isn't mean at all, just lacking in grace, So I keep him separate from the girls.

Back
Top Bottom