New to raising chickens

geoalwil

Hatching
8 Years
Jun 5, 2011
Hi, I am new to raising chickens. We will be getting a house on 5 arces in the Northern California area and I would like to raise chickens for their eggs.

I am thinking of starting off with 4 females and one male, is this a good ratio?

Any advice on making sure the chickens are happy and healthy. We will not have them free roam since we have some pretty big birds that fly over. Though I would like to inclose a nice size area for them. Is there a standard on how much room we should have per chicken?

Any help regarding care and feeding would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Julia

welcome-byc.gif
from Southern California. You'll find just about everything you need here on the forum. Just check under the different topics and use the search tool when you have specific concerns - there's a good chance someone else has already asked the same question and you can get your answers right away. Glad to have you with us
smile.png

4 sq feet per chicken so a 4X5 coop would be fine. And 4 hens to one roo is good if you want to have fertile eggs...they say 10 hens to every roo would even be ok. You may have some bare backs if the rooster pics a 'favorite' one or two hens which they usually do. Mine hen who is at the bottom of the pecking order always has the bare back
sad.png

welcome-byc.gif

Thank you so much for all your information. This gives me a good place to start.
Julia

Back
Top Bottom