New to raising chickens

eqserman

Songster
May 16, 2015
My wife and I decided to get four or five chickens, and built a coop and run for up to six. Yep everybody is right, addiction ! Just started two weeks ago and already needing to expand coop and run. Now have nine pullets and one rooster, and also keeping a family members three pullets till they get their coop and run built. They are seven week's old and two are three weeks old. 1- speckled Sussex, 2- Easter eggers, 2 Wellsummer, 2- Black Astralopes, 1- Buff Orpington, 2- Light Brahma, 1- Golden Laced Wyandotte and two they call Yellow Buff which I believe are Buff Orpingtons. They are addictve and yes new members build bigger then you think you will need.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join our flock. Chicken addiction is a very common affliction here and very few BYC members are immune to "chicken math." :eek:) You have a nice mixed flock. Black Australorps are my favorite standard breed. I've raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds) and they are extremely hardy, calm and gentle (my children and granddaughter made lap pets of them), and the best layers of the standard, brown egg laying breeds. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

There is no cure for chicken addiction although chickens are a gateway drug, and people have branched addictions and add geese or ducks, or guineas to the flock.

Whatever, you will be needing to add more space for them. Good luck and Welcome to Backyard chickens

The wife would love to be able to hold the chicks, especially the Black Astralopess, but they all do not want to come near, let alone let us touch them. We spend time in the run, talking and trying to coach them so we can handle them, no luck Any ideas ?

Hello!

Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. :frow
A gateway drug! Lol! :lau Good luck with your girls!

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Sounds like you have a lovely flock there! Those are all great breeds! I also have buff orpingtons, a speckled sussex and an easter egger. I've always wanted wyandottes, brahmas and australorps. And yes, chickens are VERY addictive! Once you start, it's basically impossible to stop! LOL Good luck with your flock and welcome to ours! We are glad you joined this community of poultry lovers just like yourself.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom