New to Raising Chicks and Ducklings - Help!

furbabies86

Songster
Apr 2, 2020
Hey! I am new to raising chicks and ducklings so here are my questions. I had asked before I cooped the following together with someone at the store who raised them...but I have 2 bantam chicks, 1 cayuga duckling, and 1 baby turkey. (Already have 5 adult chickens in their own coop at my family home) - - but these babies are mine and right now in a coop in a warm place with a heating lamp, feeder, & water. They all get along and snuggle together etc. No problems there. My question is for the duckling mostly. I know ducklings like water...can we put a small area with shallow water for the duck to swim until of course they grow to adults and we transfer them to the outside coop even though its sharing the same area as the baby turkey & chicks? or would we separate the duckling so it could have its own water time? When are they even allowed to start swimming/age? Any information on any of the new babies i have would be great! thanks everyone!

I asked a google search box your question and here's the answer:

Ducklings
and goslings can be introduced to swimming water as early as one week of age but you must be very careful. They must be able to walk in and out of the water very easily. The water should not be too cold and they must be able to find their heat lamp for rewarming without difficulty.

Be careful that the pen doesn't get to wet; that would not be good for any of the babies.

Back
Top Bottom