new to raising chicks, have a question

kjranch

Hatching
7 Years
May 14, 2012
Hi, we just got 7 chicks a week ago Sunday. All are growing but 1. They all seem really healthy, eat and drink a ton. There are like 2 speckled sussex, 2 blue andalusions, 2 white crested black polish and 1 I think is an americuana. One of the white crested black polish is always falling asleep. She's smaller than the rest and always cuddles up to them. I have them in a 100 gallon horse rubbermaid tank with the heat lamp at the top resting on a wire cover. When I hope her and look at her the eyes are fine, and the leggs look good. She's even getting some feathers. They were in on one of the last shipments to my feed store around 5/04. I read in my book she's a runt and well they have their ideas. We love her and want her to be okay.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!!!
Kathy

shes just trying to keep warm! butmaybe just keep a close eye on it and just in case you should make sure it is eating by touching the "crop" if you feel a ball that means it has food and water! good sign

I had one that was smaller than the rest but she's doing fine. The first week is the toughest for them. Most common mistake I hear of is probably trying to keep the whole brooder at the recomended temperature. They need a cooler area they can retreat too if they start getting overheated. Like chickenmaniac said keep an eye on her, keep them warm but not overheated, and make sure they get plenty of food and water. Their crop is part of the digestive system. It's on their right side of the breast. When full it is pretty obvious, sometimes scary looking.Here's a pic of an older chick with a full crop.

Good luck with your little peeps and
welcome-byc.gif
. Lots of good information in the forums here.

Last edited:
Great looking Reds, Ron.

Welcome to chicken fever. You will worry about your little ones a lot, especially once you get them outside. It does sound as if shes a runt, and just maturing a bit slower then the rest, she may lag behind in activity, but soon will catch up. Just keep a close eye on her, if she continues to be lathargic after 10-14 days she might have an issue, but my guess is she will be peeping, pooping and running about with the rest of them soon enough.

Thank you for all your suggestions, it really helps. I will check her crop tonight. I have the red light at one end only with a blanket at the other end. The first 5 days I had them on my patio under cover and the temps were mild around 50ish at night but then we brought them in the house. I have noticed 3 are needing less warmth and resting at the other end but run all around when active. I have 4 that really like to cuddle up when they sleep, but everyone runs around and is very perky. The little one not so much, she will run when we reach in to change water and food but she likes to sleep standing up, lol. She doesn't cough or sneeze so seems ok there. I have only had them since the 13th, so will continue to keep an eye on her. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom