New to raising ducks- please advise!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sticksoup, Apr 19, 2009.

1. sticksoup

sticksoup Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Bradenton
    My Boyfriend came home with two baby Pekins (2-3 weeks) yesterday and we are scrambling to learn all we need to raise properly-
    My question is this- they sure peep/cry alot. Is that normal? None of the chickens we raised made anywhere near as much noise.

2. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    It is fairly normal. Are you sure they aren't cold? They tend to complain more if they are.

3. Bugcrusher

Bugcrusher Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Yep they are noisy, and messy. I have 5 right now in a screen bottom brooder with 2" of pine shavings. They are always peeping except when eating, watering or resting. Keep a buld on them to provide heat constantly. Water and high protein feed to get them started right. I use game bird feed with a higher protein level than chick starter. They need it for thier legs to develop strong to hold thier weight.

My brooder is just a wooden (2x4) rectangle box 2'x4' covered in hardware cloth bottom and sides with a plywood top on hinges. I hang in a bulb for heat and put med waterer and chick food trough at one end.

Hope this helps.

4. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

I've got my ducks in a big rubbermaid tub with pine shavings for them to snuggle into. Their food (flock raiser) is sloppy wet and I make sure they have plenty of warm water with electrolytes to drink. The heat bulb is on one side of the box so they can get warm under it or cool off by walking away from it. And yes, they are crazy noisy most of the time if they're awake.

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Ducks are noisy and messy. Give them chick starter with some brewers yeast added for higher B vitamins. Make sure they have plenty of water while eating. They could greatly benefit from fresh grass clippings floated on their water several times a day as well. At about 6 - 8 weeks you can switch them over to flock raiser by purina.

Do not give them swimming access to water without your immediate supervision. They are too young and can drown. They also will need a heat lamp if you let them splash in the warm kitchen sink to dry them off. They don't make enough protective oils to insulate themselves and chilling can cause them to die the same as chicks.

Enjoy! Ducklings are a real pleasure.

6. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    Here is what I learned from someone who has raised ducks for years.

Many poultry feeds have a lack of niacin in it and ducks need niacin for their legs. Leg breaks are prevalent in Pekin ducks and they should have added niacin to their water.

You can buy niacin supplements at Walmart.

250 mgs niacin tablets ground up and added to one gallon of water will help with any niacin deficiency.

I have 4 Pekin ducks and 2 call ducks.

Laurie

7. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
  8. sticksoup

sticksoup Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Bradenton
    Wow! Thank you for all the help and info. BYC is the best! They settled down a bit after we put a light back on them. Since we are in southern sunny Florida, I was worried they might be too hot- but no, I guess they still wanted that extra heat.

I'm off getting fortifications for their food- And they love the grass clippings in water. [​IMG] Great suggestion. [​IMG]

9. Luvducks

Luvducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Colorado
    Sounds like your on the right track. Good Luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by