New to Raising Guineas

kjanda

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 25, 2014
Central Texas
I've always wanted guineas and finally bought 5 laying hens (2 pearl, 2 lavender, 1 pied). I'm going to order at least 10 keets soon, also. Right now I've got the hens in a pen and have been feeding them crumble, bird seed, bread, an occasional grasshopper or cricket, and even threw some grass in there. I plan on keeping them there for a couple of weeks to teach them where home is now but I wouldn't be surprised if they still ran off when I let them out. Right now the difficulty is keeping them watered since they either find a way to knock over the waterer or get it filthy. The keets shouldn't be difficult since I'll raise them to be penned at night and hopefully they won't wander too far. Any thoughts or suggestions?

I've always wanted guineas and finally bought 5 laying hens (2 pearl, 2 lavender, 1 pied). I'm going to order at least 10 keets soon, also. Right now I've got the hens in a pen and have been feeding them crumble, bird seed, bread, an occasional grasshopper or cricket, and even threw some grass in there. I plan on keeping them there for a couple of weeks to teach them where home is now but I wouldn't be surprised if they still ran off when I let them out. Right now the difficulty is keeping them watered since they either find a way to knock over the waterer or get it filthy. The keets shouldn't be difficult since I'll raise them to be penned at night and hopefully they won't wander too far. Any thoughts or suggestions?

If I were you I would wait before you are over run with guineas
jumpy.gif

Can you see the nest ????

Ok then I will take a steep forward then .......

Here I will stretch out my hand arm some now can you see her nest ....

I just took the photo this morning and wile counting papa jumped on my back so hint be careful when counting and makesure no one is around as he tore my shirt some skin off my back ..

Oh I counted to 20 before I was jumped ....

gander007
old.gif

Last edited:
Wow, that's quite a nest! The guy I got em from had tons of them running around and in pens. Hope the daddy didn't get you too bad. We've got some tall grass around the tank and quite a bit in an 8 acre hay pasture so it'll be quite an adventure finding em- hope the bobcats don't find em first. It'll be Easter egg hunting all over again.
The waterer is a small, cheap one from Tractor Supply. I plan on hanging it or tying it to the gate. When I let them out I've got troughs and a 5 gallon waterer.

Went home at lunch at found this juicy fellow along with a dead lavender. No eggs either, of course. Good 5 footer but a .357 with rat shot did the trick

Back
Top Bottom