New to Red Cross hens

angel chick

Hatching
Apr 23, 2015
Stratford CT
Hi everyone! I just started having some backyard chickens. They are approx 22 weeks and one of them had her first egg this morning. Unfortunately as soon as I noticed it another hen came to check it out also and pecked it and cracked it. Obviously other than getting there before she does (lol) are there any recommendations on how to prevent them from doing that to the eggs?

Welcome to BYC. Perhaps if you put a fake egg in the nest, it might deter the egg picker. Some, but not many feed stores carry fake eggs. A golfball or two might work. You want to quickly nip this in the bud. If you dont, the others will quickly pick up the bad habit they'll learn from the egg picker. Your other alternative is to be out there all day collecting eggs as soon as they're layed. If all else fails, cull the egg picker.

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I too agree with dawg on putting some fake in the nest box so they can't damage them and get the taste for eggs. Also adding a curtain over the nest box entrance can help stop this behaivour. As this is your first egg the other may have not been sure what it was and so had to investigate it. It is something you need to stop though. Here is an article on egg eaters and tips on how to stop this. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/six-tips-on-breaking-your-egg-eater

Good luck and enjoy BYC :frow

Welcome to BYC. Perhaps if you put a fake egg in the nest, it might deter the egg picker. Some, but not many feed stores carry fake eggs. A golfball or two might work. You want to quickly nip this in the bud. If you dont, the others will quickly pick up the bad habit they'll learn from the egg picker. Your other alternative is to be out there all day collecting eggs as soon as they're layed. If all else fails, cull the egg picker.

X 2 - another option is a "roll out" nest box which moves the egg out of reach of the hens after it's dropped. You definitely don't want this habit spreading through your flock -- chicken see, chicken do.

Welcome to Backyard chickens - yes, it's a very bad habit for hens to get into. You have received some very good advice, so I will just say, Glad you joined the flock
yesss.gif

Thank you all for your help. We finally have one egg that hasn't been pecked. Hoping once the other chickens start laying as well that they will leave the eggs alone.

Back
Top Bottom