New to Self Sufficiency and loving it!

nicole63021

Songster
6 Years
Mar 8, 2013
West St. Louis County, MO
Hello! We have been in our current house for just at a year now after being apt. dwellers for many years. We put in a mostly thriving garden this spring and got chickens early in the summer. Today is my first go at making my own pickles with the windfall of cucumbers and dill from the garden. We had peas and kale and quinoa, along with some peppers and corn as well that we have been eating. I feel in the next week or two a lot of tomato canning will be going on too! What I'm wondering is what is everyone's favorite recipe/formula for pickles, tomatoes, salsa and pasta sauce? How many of you do freezing and drying, and what is the best way to dry herbs and the like in a fairly humid climate? Thank you all for anything you can give me! We hope to become more self sustaining in the years to come, getting a larger property, and getting goats or sheep to keep along with chickens, maybe some other fowl or a dairy cow. My DH's family does not understand or approve of our decision to this, saying that we will be lacking in life if we don't continue to grow our monthly cash flow, my family loves it as this is how they were raised, just don't have a lot of resources since it's only a 6 person family now. Anyway, thank you all for any advice you can offer!

Awesome! We have been living on our 6 acres for 6 months. My garden didnt do nearly as well (I have a lot of learning to do) I got a few tomatoes, my onions were delicious but small, and my watermelons are now the size of golf balls. We have chickens and ducks, im getting a dozen eggs every two days from chickens and still waiting on those ducks. I havent been the healthiest person and I am overweight. My husband says I look healthier being here, and my exercize caring for the animals makes it feel less like exercize. Caring for the animals, the beauty of the land, and watching gods creations grow, makes me happy and it shows.

Not everyones happiness comes from a luxurious lifestyle. There are great rewards here too.

Do try to save yourself a nest egg, ......... I like them pickled with beets!

We both have a savings, not giving up our jobs or anything, but his Mom especially sees living off of the land as a very poor thing to do. Truth is he works for State Farm and I have been a professional pet groomer/stylist for 10 years. This doesn't seem like work, it's quite relaxing really, and it reconnects us to where our food comes from. It's just satisfying. Glad it makes you so visibly happy! Sorry about your garden not doing well. We are only on about 1/3 of an acre in the suburbs, lol, but as long as the neighbors don't complain and the chickens aren't running amock in the streets, it's all perfectly legal, and my neighbors are excited about it all as well, many didn't know it was legal.

Lol, im a housewife now..... but im also a groomer. :D

Its fairly humid here, i have picked and washed stevia, put it in a dry bowl and left it on the counter, fluffed it up a couple times a day, by day 3 they were dry. I need to learn to can... but I dont have anything to can yet.

Last edited:
my wife started to garden this year and was having trouble with something eating her tomato plants. Got a recommendation to make a water based spray with jalapeno juice and garlic juice. Her plants are seven feet high now. only needed to spray once.

There are a zillion different kinds of pickles - Apple cider vinegar and dill with a little brown sugar is a good one. When we lived in Brentwood, California we lived near this incredible produce stand: Farmers Daughter - I met a ton of people. I canned peach jam but I would trade jars with people so that I didn't have a million jars of peach jam. Anyway whilst swapping jars I got a jar of pickled asperigas, which at first I was not too sure about but I wanted to be polite, Finally opened the jar and put it out for a party and it was a HUGE hit. I got one or two spears but people loved it!

I would encourage you to swap jars too. You meet the nicest people and get to try things you may not have tried plus new recipes. Now I live in Jacksonville and we have the saddest farmers market which actually does not seem to involve any real local farmers as the produce is grown over seas and every booth has exactly the same thing for sale. Even guys who sell produce on street corners - they all get their produce from the wholesalers and its all off the ships. Really sad.

Caroline

Back
Top Bottom