New to Silkies, gender question/observation

Silkiefan

Songster
11 Years
Jan 1, 2009
Hello everyone! I got my babies, and enjoy their antics after work... My kids love them, and I'm "desensitizing" the Border Collie... rest assured, I won't take any chances with the dog and chickens, and she's doing great with them so far... ANYWAY my question/observation is this: I have two -3-day-old Silkie chicks, one white, one black.
Black: smaller, rounder, docile, calm... scary noise reaction: hunker down and wait until it's safe ...and two very SMALL toes in back.

White: bigger, noisier, bossy, obnoxious (won't let black sleep- pulls butt fluff out of black) scary noise reaction: stand up- way up and look around for the source...AND two LARGE toes in back...
Is white a boy?

Just checking... I wish I could find out by observation methods. It's not too late to go back to the feed store and try again. I cannot have a rooster.
Sadie

Wow, at that age it's hard to tell. All silkies have 5 toes. I got 4 day olds, and the smallest one turned out to be a roo. Well, actually 3 of them were. Should have bought a lottery ticket that day! Anyway, the biggest and most agressive is a pullet. She is a sweetie, but in charge! If you have a vet close by, and if money permits take them there to see. If not, try really hard not to get too attached until you can find out. Hard to do though!

We didnt figure out who was a boy till they started to crow
hide.gif

Out of a group of seven 2 were girls, the flightly one and the smallest go figure
idunno.gif

Hi there! - to update: I returned the aggressive white chick to the store, and thank goodness there are understanding (or at least good at pretending to be understanding) - folks that work at the feedstore...
I looked for what I figure to be more feminine qualities : round head, round eyes, round body... and since all the Silkies in the store were hatched on the 9th, I chose one of the smallest, again figuring that the males "technically" should grow faster, stand taller and look longer.
The new white baby is more relaxed, and the two now get along so much better. PLEASE send out "female" vibes for me... I love my tiny flock!
oh- and on a parting note: I dug up an earthworm yesterday while gardening, and called the family in to watch the two go crazy! Oh my gosh! The chicks went absolutely NUTS over that poor worm! My kids loved it, hubby laughed, and even the dogs were wagging tails- although the dogs may have had alterior motives...

Keep us updated as they grow. I'll be having silkies hatch in 17 days (hopefully) and I'll enjoy watching yours grow up with mine...

Good luck. Sending girl vibes your way...

Quote:
While I'm glad you are putting the Silkie sexing to the test, and I hope your theory works out for you, the chick you bought may end up being just as aggressive as the first. If you aren't prepared to deal with it as chicks, you might as well give up now because there is always going to be a pecking order in the flock.

And "feminine" qualities dont mean squat, in Silkies. I entered a pullet one time at a show, which I thought was a cockeral. I was so very embarrassed when the judge said that it was a pullet and scratched out the coop card.

Back
Top Bottom