16 week black Silkie- Gender thoughts?

Jessand4

Hatching
Jul 25, 2023
so I’ve been going back and forth on this and some days I think Violet my black silkie is a pullet and others a Roo. I have another white silkie Indy (Indiana Jones) who was renamed after he crowed lol. The two of them have been chest bumping ever since they were around 3-4 weeks. But Indy started growing wattles very early on and Violet grew some around 10-12 weeks and they are still fairly small. The other morning I came out to Indy crowing and Violet making a crow type noise but not a full crow. It was only that day and I haven’t heard it since. I have heard that hens can mimick the roosters crow. Here is the thing, my sister also has a white and black silkie bought on the same day as me from a feed store and hers look much different than both of mine. I’m positive hers are both pullets and mine are both Roos. Any thought??

Attachments

• IMG_7923.jpeg
    IMG_7923.jpeg
    1,021 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_7925.jpeg
    IMG_7925.jpeg
    696.2 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    631.2 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    848.4 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    525.4 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    675.6 KB · Views: 22
so I’ve been going back and forth on this and some days I think Violet my black silkie is a pullet and others a Roo. I have another white silkie Indy (Indiana Jones) who was renamed after he crowed lol. The two of them have been chest bumping ever since they were around 3-4 weeks. But Indy started growing wattles very early on and Violet grew some around 10-12 weeks and they are still fairly small. The other morning I came out to Indy crowing and Violet making a crow type noise but not a full crow. It was only that day and I haven’t heard it since. I have heard that hens can mimick the roosters crow. Here is the thing, my sister also has a white and black silkie bought on the same day as me from a feed store and hers look much different than both of mine. I’m positive hers are both pullets and mine are both Roos. Any thought??
I believe you have two roos on your hands. Very handsome!!

Hi there! I’m so glad you posted this thread! I’ve been back and forth with sexing my now 13 week silkies. At first the buff one looked pretty obvious with the red comb, wattles and streamers coming out at around 8wks. Still no crow but he and my blue silkie from the same clutch, while inseparable, I have caught chest bumping from abt 2 wks and now I’m seeing the blue one actually INSTIGATING pecking episodes with one of my 16wk old Eggers🤨. When I yelled out her(?) name, she reverted back to sweet chirping and playing the victim, but , I’m considering changing her name from Dixie to Dickson, just like I changed her brothers name from Daisy to Dusty😆

Also, love the name Violet…that was the name of my first silkie from my original flock, included her in my pics, she was my favorite chicken of all time…we lost her suddenly at 11 mos, we think to a heart attack bc she had zero signs of illness or trauma found lying dead one afternoon on a 50 degree day in March in the run😕

Attachments

• IMG_6583.jpeg
    IMG_6583.jpeg
    619.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6652.jpeg
    IMG_6652.jpeg
    505 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6891.jpeg
    IMG_6891.jpeg
    392.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6890.jpeg
    IMG_6890.jpeg