new to silkies, please tell me what you think of this guy(?)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by KatyTheChickenLady, Sep 24, 2009.

1. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Cutie pa Tutie is 10 weeks old, I think it is a cockeral . . . maybe? I amnot so good with the pics and he wasn't helping much, please tell me if a different angle would have been better.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ???? thanks!!!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  2. featherbaby

featherbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL 32210
    Ooooooh! He's Beautiful! However, you won't know if he's a hen or a roo until he crows or lays an egg. HA! Where did you get him/her?

3. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    that looks like the start of a walnut comb on top though doesn't it?

4. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Looks like a Roo to me. A closer shot of the face/comb would be better.

Looks to have good toe spacing, from what I can see.

5. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    I am 99.9% sure that's a cockeral! It's hard to see his comb--do you have bigger pics or closer up? Toe spacing looks good. This is always the awkward stage for silkies, so as far as quality, it's hard to tell! They go through that, "teenage" stage--awkward and their voices even change! lol Just kidding!!!! But he is looking pretty good! Again, if you have any upclose pics, post 'em! [​IMG]

6. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    The young Prince and I have differing opinions about what "hold still for a close-up" means . . . also he went and got his feather hat all dirty [​IMG]
    so here we go:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    thanks you guys! I feel so much better, i really don't think he isa as pretty as my younger ones, but that could be just that he is a boy and they are girls . . .?

7. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    Quote:Give him time!! He's filling out nicely and looks to have a nice mulberry comb coming in!

8. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    Very pretty! I'd say roo... His comb seems pretty big for 10 weeks. [​IMG] a roo is ok with you?!

9. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    I don't much about Silkies so I will reserve judgement. I think he's absolutely gorgeous, though!

Laurie

10. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Quote:Oh a roo is great! I am trying to build a quality breeding flock for next year (we have NONE in this area). So far I have; 1, 10 week white cockeral, 1 white, 1 blue & 1 black 7 week old questions (but no signs of roo stuff and different bodies than the 10 week I am guessing girls) and 1, 1 week old Buff . . . and 12 eggs in the bator!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by