New to site and idea of chickens, lots of questions here.

welcome-byc.gif

1. GET CHICKS they are so much fun!!
jumpy.gif

2. BUILD BIGGER!! cuz you will want more.
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif

3. I hope you enjoy!
celebrate.gif

Welcome to the club!!!

I just started this endeavor last July with 12 Rhode Island Red day old chicks. 1 turned out to be a little roo. I for one, am really big on the advantages of having a roo in the flock. For one thing, you can let a hen raise a clutch once a year and never have to buy chicks ever again, barring major situation. The other thing is even in the absence of a roo, one hen will likely "act" like a roo, even trying to crow in the morning. They are there for a reason, and its more than fertilization. They protect, lead and guide, settle disputes (of which there will many), and make the proudest papas you will ever see. When your hens lay and sing the "egg song," you will soon hear the roo chiming in as well.

If you get chicks, then get your roo first. Get an adult that you have seen and observed. Make sure he displays a calm demeanor, dominant but not arrogant. Once your girls are ready for the outside world (usually about 3 weeks depending on the weather) let the rooster help raise them. If one of your ladies turns out to be a whipper snappin little roo, the adult roo will keep him from turning into a little narcissist. With your 5 yo, make sure the roo gets to know her, and feels comfortable with her around. with any animal large enough to hurt a small child, make dang sure (language no where near strong enough) your child comes to grip with the reality that a rooster can hurt you if he feels his flock is threatened. Keep the door to the pen and coop locked so children don't have access without supervision.

As for most of your other questions, I think you have gotten some pretty good answers already. On the coop, I will add this from experience. If possible, windows on one side are great, and help prevent draftiness in the cool air. Whether you put windows on one or more sides is up to you, but do try to place some means of getting extra light at roosting time, in the evening. It can be as simple as cutting out a window and putting plexi glas over it. Otherwise, a tap light or other simple, yet safe light source will do wonders to keep hens from sleeping in the nest boxes or getting stuck outside. These questions come up often, and experience with mine found it to be hens fighting over favorite roosting spots within the coop. If a hen is knocked off the roost (happens from time to time) after it gets too dark inside, they will go to a safe place, usually a nest. Too much fighting over roosts will keep lower pecking order girls from wanting to go in until it settles down. I have 2 of 11 hens that wait for the dust to clear before going in. If it gets dark, they won't be able to see well enough to go in and roost.

Do keep us posted on what you decide!!!

Back
Top Bottom