1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New to site - first year vet student

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kbackel88, Oct 7, 2011.

1. kbackel88

kbackel88 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2011
    Hi all!

I'm a first year vet student at Cornell University, interested in backyard poultry, small animal and small ruminants. Currently the options for poultry vets are limited, mostly to state vets and large corporations [​IMG] but once I graduate I will open my arms to chickens and other fowl at whatever clinic I end up employed at! I posted a topic on the disease/health board about what kind of health problems you are frequently see, and what kind of things you might rely on a vet for. I understand that cost is always going to be an issue... especially when chickens are so easily replaced, but if anyone has input about things they wish their vet could do let me know! I am also in the process of setting up a poultry medicine club here at Cornell that will be hosting labs, lectures and will do community outreach and education. So if there is anyone out there from the ithaca area feel free to contact me. Thanks!!

2. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from WA. glad you joined us [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!! Glad you joined!! [​IMG]

4. kbackel88

Sep 28, 2011
    Oh and unfortunately I do not have any chickens at the moment [​IMG] they wouldn't do well in my small apartment... But I would love some cochins in the near future!!! I had a lovely pair of blue cochins for a few years before I went off to school, and would like to get another pair or trio.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  5. the Pollo Loco

the Pollo Loco Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Santa Cruz,CA
    Great!!!! we have a Doctor in the house!!!! (well a future doc) [​IMG]

6. kbackel88

Sep 28, 2011
    Future yes... I can currently tell you all about dog and cat anatomy. We don't start medicine until 2nd year... And I don't start bird anatomy til spring!

7. guinea fowl galore

guinea fowl galore Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Australia
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG]

8. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] My son who is currently a freshman in high school is thinking of becoming a vet in the future. Hoping to be an exotic vet. Good luck. [​IMG]

9. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    [​IMG] When you become a vet we could sure use you in my town. [​IMG]

10. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by