New to site Hen not eating and now not drinking with diarrhea

Chicken Mama in GA

In the Brooder
Jan 6, 2024
I have a Buff Orpington (hatched around June 2) that has diarrhea, not eating, and today no longer drinking. Her crop felt somewhat "squishy", with some grit, and a few larger "lumps" this morning. Definitely not hard or enlarged. She did expel clear liquid earlier today (once). She is isolated in my house and she did lay an egg today. Her diarrhea is white/cream/yellow-ish with the normal dark brown more solid in it. I guess you could say that it would probably look normal if it was "solid" and not runny. I am getting the things together to give her some liquid. I have been massaging her crop. What else should I do? Thanks in advance for your help! I noticed yesterday that she was isolating herself and then I noticed the diarrhea and I isolated her in the house. My other five chickens are all acting normal. She has no odor, and her poop has no odor. I scrambled her an egg and she took a couple of bites. I mixed her water with the electrolyte recipe and have been trying to get her to drink. She has taken some. What else can I do for her?

Last edited:
Hi. Welcome to BYC.
It sounds as if you need to make a post in the emergency section. You can click on the conversation icon at the top of your screen (#1) and scroll down to chicken maintenance (#2) and then to the emergency forum.
Screenshot_20240106_135546_Chrome.jpg

Or use this link:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures.10/

Best wishes for your hen and a quick recovery!

That sounds like cecal poop. It scared the crap out of me at first. Compare it to Google images.
Also, from what you describe of her crop, it sounds like she is eating and drinking. Watch carefully. They don't want to drink while I am looking (to spite me for getting a new watterer and keeping them from drinking from the gutter, little buggers!)

Back
Top Bottom