New to site Hen not eating and now not drinking with diarrhea

Has she not had any other poops at all (without yellow diarhea)? No regular ones?
No. All the same. She doesn't want to drink, but will eat the liquid pellets that I mixed with the electrolyte water recipe. I have read so much that now I don't know if I should give her the food? Her crop is smaller, but still not normal as it should be in the mornings. It is still not hard, it is squishy with some grit and a few larger pieces in it. The larger pieces aren't huge. The larger pieces are about the size of maybe a small green pea. I wonder if I should give her some oil, or just keep massaging it today like I did yesterday.

Also, from what you describe of her crop, it sounds like she is eating and drinking. Watch carefully. They don't want to drink while I am looking (to spite me for getting a new watterer and keeping them from drinking from the gutter, little buggers!)
I thought cecal poop was the dark color and consistency of pudding and stinky (?) I'm going to try to get a better picture today. Her crop is not empty this morning, but it is smaller than yesterday. She doesn't have the "sour" smell like is described for sour crop, but I think something is going on with her crop.

Her crop felt somewhat "squishy", with some grit, and a few larger "lumps" this morning. Definitely not hard or enlarged. She did expel clear liquid earlier today (once). She is isolated in my house and she did lay an egg today. Her diarrhea is white/cream/yellow-ish with the normal dark brown more solid in it.

I noticed yesterday that she was isolating herself and then I noticed the diarrhea and I isolated her in the house
Welcome To BYC

Can you post photos of her and her poop?

If the crop is not emptying, then I would address that symptom according to this article.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Even if she did lay an egg, she may benefit from getting extra Calcium for a few days. Calcium Citrate with D3 can be found at Walmart, CVS, etc. Just pop the tablet into her beak and let her swallow it.

Always make water available during waking hours.

Welcome To BYC

If the crop is not emptying, then I would address that symptom according to this article.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Even if she did lay an egg, she may benefit from getting extra Calcium for a few days. Calcium Citrate with D3 can be found at Walmart, CVS, etc. Just pop the tablet into her beak and let her swallow it.

The poop picture is from yesterday. I will give her some calcium. I can't get her to eat or drink today, even though her crop feels smaller than yesterday. Should I give her some oil along with massaging her crop? I made an electrolyte mixture from the recipe. I mixed some of it with her pellets, but I'm not sure if I should give it to her. Feed or not feed? Oil or no oil? Yogurt?

Attachments

• 1704645011692444285254234589475.jpg
    1704645011692444285254234589475.jpg
    349 KB · Views: 6
  • 17046452255968657886631260573367.jpg
    17046452255968657886631260573367.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 6
Welcome To BYC

The problem I'm having is that her crop feels squishy and not hard, but I don't hear any "gurgling" noises that is described, nor is there any odor. So, is it sour or impacted, or neither? I think I need to give her water with a dropper because I can't get her to drink today.

The poop picture is from yesterday. I will give her some calcium. I can't get her to eat or drink today, even though her crop feels smaller than yesterday. Should I give her some oil along with massaging her crop? I made an electrolyte mixture from the recipe. I mixed some of it with her pellets, but I'm not sure if I should give it to her. Feed or not feed? Oil or no oil? Yogurt?

The problem I'm having is that her crop feels squishy and not hard, but I don't hear any "gurgling" noises that is described, nor is there any odor. So, is it sour or impacted, or neither? I think I need to give her water with a dropper because I can't get her to drink today.
I would try to encourage her to drink on her own.
If the crop is squishy, then it may be sour or she's got a partial blockage further down in the digestive system.

Poop has a lot of urates in it, she needs to be hydrated. But you must take care if you are going to syringe/tube her if the crop is already squishy or fluid filled, you risk aspiration.

I always give coconut oil chunks when treating the crop. I also make food available during waking hours. A hen generally will self regulate, so if she's not wanting to eat, then she doesn't think it will help her. Water/hydration is most important, food is secondary.

Has she not had any other poops at all (without yellow diarhea)? No regular ones?
Today her poop is back to normal. She still won't eat, however I did get some water down her without using a dropper. She just drank it after I picked her up and got her out of her nesting box that I made her. She seems to be breathing with her beak open at times. I got the medicine that is recommended for sour crop/yeast infection. I've only got one dose in her so far.

If the crop is squishy, then it may be sour or she's got a partial blockage further down in the digestive system.

Poop has a lot of urates in it, she needs to be hydrated. But you must take care if you are going to syringe/tube her if the crop is already squishy or fluid filled, you risk aspiration.

I always give coconut oil chunks when treating the crop. I also make food available during waking hours. A hen generally will self regulate, so if she's not wanting to eat, then she doesn't think it will help her. Water/hydration is most important, food is secondary.

I got the sour crop/yeast infection cream and I got one dose in her. She drank a good bit of water after I picked her up and got her out of her nesting box that I made her. She seems to be breathing with her beak open at times today, but her poop is back to normal today! I did read that if chickens have thrush in their throat that they would breath with their beaks open. I'm hoping that is what it is because the cream will take care of that. If it were respiratory, it would probably be a lost cause.

Ok. So, her poop has returned to normal. She still isn't acting her normal chicken self, though. Not eating but a bite or two, but drinking some. I held off on using a dropper because she started drinking and the aspiration risk. I'm continuing the ointment, trying to get her to take the coconut oil, and started putting yogurt on her beak. She is certainly not the easiest patient to coax into taking her medication! I have dry and moistened pellets, yogurt, coconut oil, and water down for her to get if she wants it. She is getting out of her nesting box at times and moving about the living room. Do you think I'm doing things (semi) right? Any more suggestions? Thank you for taking the time to help me!

Back
Top Bottom