New to site!

Lopez117

Hatching
Aug 17, 2015
Hi everyone!! My name is Sarah and I have had my oldest chickens for about 6 months now. I was introduced to chicken keeping from someone I knew, they let me have the eggs from the hen that they had and I really liked the idea of having fresh eggs every morning. Also I tried my hand at incubating! Out of 30 I had one success (the chicken was a very young RIR), I named him Nemo :) I went to the feed store the next day to get him some companions and that's how I got started. Now I have five 6 months, (RIR, 2 red stars, Barred rock and Polish) Five 4 months old (cornish and a turkey) and Fourteen 2 month olds (2 red stars, one orpington, 2 blue silkies, 4 australorps, 2 ameracaunas, 2 black stars and one sebright) and most recently acquired 2 class A seramas!!! Everyone else is growing up around the poor seramas lol So yeah, got my hands full and I enjoy it :)

Hi :welcome Sarah

Glad you could join the flock! That's a lovely mixed flock you have there. I hope you try again with incubating it's so much fun and very rewarding when you get the incubator tuned in and running correctly. Did you find out why you had such a low hatch rate out of 30 eggs?
I love incubating and hatching eggs just nothing quite like it when you see the chicks emerge into the world.

Wishing you the very best of luck in the future and enjoy BYC :frow

Hello and welcome, Nemo is a very fitting name
smile.png
I've been kicking around adding to our current 9 almost 6mo olds, your headcount is very encouraging to me.... we will see what I can find. Welcome again to the site.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Sounds like "chicken math" is taking hold at your place. :eek:) You have a nice mix of breeds and hybrids. Black Star is one of several labels under which some hatcheries market their Black Sex Links which are very friendly and hardy, egg laying machines. I raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds and hybrids) and they have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 large, brown eggs per hen per year. You should get loads of eggs from those two girls. :eek:) If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is loads of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Don't count the seramas out ! Once they mature they become BIG chickens in tiny bodies and can really kick fluffy butts when they want to.

Welcome to the BYC flock. We are glad you joined us.

Wow! You have increased your numbers fast. Good for you. Any plans to get more or try your hard at another batch in the incubator?

Back
Top Bottom