New to the BYC community

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by UrbnChiknRanch, Oct 11, 2016.

1. UrbnChiknRanch

UrbnChiknRanch Just Hatched

Oct 9, 2016
    Red Bluff, CA
    Good morning from beautiful N. California. (the real northern California. not the media N. California.) Those from here will know. LOL Any how, I'm not that new to urban chicken farming. I have a small flock. My first 4 birds I acquired about 2 years ago. 1 silver Araquana, 1 light Brahma, 1 Barred Rock, and 1 Black something or another. We have since lost the black one to the dogs, but the other 3 are thriving and happy. We just keep them separated from the dogs. I have since added 8 Golden comets to the flock. I got them at 1 day old back in August. They are thriving and blending pretty well with the older birds. I brooded the littles out in the run in their own separate pen with the bigs where they were able to see each other for awhile. Its hot enough here that when they were about 2 weeks old I put them out in their little brooder pen. Over the last couple weeks I've been letting them free range in the back yard together for a couple hours a day under strict supervision, because my older hens are a tad aggressive towards the littles. Today is the first day I have left them out in the run together while I went to work. I've been using this forum for about a year to learn these tips. But I finally decided to join and maybe share my experience from what I've learned from here. Anyway, thanks for being here and having a wonderful resource such as this for people to learn from. I'm looking forward to many years of enjoyment from this new found hobby. I didn't realize how fun and addicting it is. My wife doesn't get how I can go out back and spend hours just watching my birds.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, UCR, and :welcome! Great to have you aboard! You are correct - BYC is indeed an awesome resource - glad you are a part it. I am pretty sure there is a NorCal thread if you dig deep enough in this link https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you
    Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC! :)

1 person likes this.
  3. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello, and welcome to Backyard chickens! Yes, chickens are very addicting, I could watch them for hours on end. I hope you make yourself at home here, and have fun!

1 person likes this.
  4. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Hi and welcome to BYC! Thanks for joining us! [​IMG]

5. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    WELCOME!!!!

6. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello, and welcome to BYC!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Your wife is missing one of the best parts of having chickens - watching chicken TV. New shows everyday, no returns, no cable or satellite bills. What's not to like [​IMG]

8. BlueJuniper

BlueJuniper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2016
    Albuquerque NM
    My Coop
    Hello and [​IMG]
    I'm so glad you joined the flock, and I hope you find the site as useful as I do!
    So sorry about the black chicken, but I'm happy to hear that the rest of your flock is doing well. And my favorite part about chickens is just watching them peck aound the yard. Lol

Hope you like BYC

-BlueJuniper

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

10. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have another NorCal member.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by