New to the Chicken Game

I have a Galaxy III, had it for more than a year, still don't understand it either. My kids lose me within seconds of trying to show me HaHa! I'm still waiting for a computer that will respond to voice commands and bypass the touching and typing. Maybe one day soon I'll master this thing.

I have a general question.
Some of the old timers when I was young always said you need a rooster around to help keep hens laying more consistently, any opinions?

Some of the old timers when I was young always said you need a rooster around to help keep hens laying more consistently, any opinions?
nope. ..in fact in certain circumstances a rooster had the potential to cause less production due to stressing hens. A rooster is only necessary if you want to fertilize your own hens eggs, they can be nice to have around for other reasons if one chooses, but not necessary

Okay , thanks.
We have 20 4 week old australorps chicks. 16 are hens, 4 roosters. We had them several years ago and they got old and had to cull them out. Great egg producers. Had one big rooster with 14 hens, got a dozen eggs many days ,butvhad periods with only a few a day.

If you want a rooster for fertile eggs, you only need 1 roo per 8-10 hens. So with 4 roosters, you'd ideally have at least 32-40 hens.

I'm not an expert, but from personal experience, the girls lay fabulously without a roo around. Our number of eggs averages about 17-18 a day from 19 layers (even though we have 12 more who haven't started), so I would say we get respectable production from the chooks.
smile.png

-Alex

Back
Top Bottom