New to the chicken game!

RyanJolly

Hatching
Mar 17, 2016
Warrenville, SC
I'm about to start a small flock for my daughters (7 and 2). I have plans for a nice size coop but not set on breeds yet. I like what I've read about leghorns and buff orpington. Any thoughts or ideas?

Welcome to BYC. Buff orpingtons are generally mellow layers of brown eggs. Leghorns, my favorite breed, can tend to be a bit flighty, but to me are beautiful layers of white eggs. Good luck in establishing your flock.

welcome-byc.gif
I am also a fan of the Buff Orpington, I have one and she is very tame, definitely a pet.

welcome-byc.gif

No matter what breeds you go with, hope you and your children enjoy them. Don't forget to check out the Learning Center (if you haven't already)...lots of good information there to help you get started, especially.

Good luck!

Black Australorps are very good layers and on the docile side. Many folks say they are friendly like puppies. Cochins are another good breed - but, not the best egg layers.

Hi and welcome to BYC - if you check out the "Breeds" section, you will see reviews of different breeds which may help you decide.

Joining your state thread will put you in contact with other BYC members in your area, which can be very helpful.

(https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread)

The members here are amazing - very friendly and helpful, so if you need an answer to a question or simply want some reassurance that what you are doing is ok, then post away - we all help each other out here at BYC.

All the best
CT

Thanks y'all. So, I came home from work yesterday and grandma had surprised the girls with 5 bittys. Don't know what sex or breed so I guess we'll see what happens!

Back
Top Bottom