New to the Chicken game

thedude42

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 17, 2014
Hello all, my wife wanted to get chickens so last week i place our order for our new chicks. we are only getting 6 for now, we do not want to get to many to fast but plan on a few more when the time comes. We are going to be getting June 11th 2 Barred Plymouth rock, 2 Australorps, and 2 Easter eggers all hens. My wife and I will be building a coop in our back yard out of pallets and old wood I am finding on craigslist, so that should be an adventure when we get that going. I will post pictures as we go through the process. We are both very excited about this. I have been reading everything on BYC for the last week so much great information on here!
My only two concerns on this whole endeavor is my dog she is a 2 and a half pointer lab mix that is a little crazy and how to make her not chase or go after the chickens when they are outside, and second that my wife will stop helping me clean the coop after the first time.. ha no she will great with this!

anyways i am looking forward to learning from all of you and i am sure i will have tons of questions as we go on with this.

images

Welcome to BYC!

Congrats on becoming new chick owners!! Yes, pallet coops can be easy to build and will keep costs down. You picked a nice group of birds! They are all friendly and will really color up your egg basket.

Be very careful with the dog. Nearly all dogs see chickens as dinner and will hurt or kill chickens. So you might want to keep the dog on a leash at all times when outside or keep the chickens in a secure run. There are threads here on BYC on training your dog to behave around chickens, however not all dogs respond to these techniques....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/829562/training-teaching-a-dog-about-chickens

Enjoy this new adventure you are on! Make yourself at home here on BYC and welcome to our flock!

thanks for the link, i will read about it. she is pretty good i think if i start showing her the chicks from day one and not have full adult chickens in her yard all of a sudden she should be ok... if not she will be leashed or the chickens will be in the run i will be building.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck with your coop build and soon to be new chicks! You will have a pretty little flock and a nicely colored basket of eggs.

welcome-byc.gif
Good luck with your poultry raising adventures, and I hope you find everything you need to know. Don't forget to take a look at BYC's very useful learning center (If you haven't already)! The learning center as well as the forum should answer your questions! There is always something new to learn! Glad to have you here! See you around with the flock.

Thanks everyone, can not wait to get going building the coop. and getting the chicks! This is such a good site love all the information.

welcome-byc.gif
Please be careful introducing chicks to your dog. People often hold the chick up to the dogs face - he thinks its a treat and that's the end of that chick. Once they get ahold of one they will be after more. Chicks are fast and peep a lot so seem like great squeaky toys to dogs. Chicks are very fragile - dogs are not.

Sometimes it's better if a dog meets full grown chickens and especially roosters who may give the dog a proper education to keep away.

Back
Top Bottom