New to the chicken, I will need your help

cityfarm47714

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 3, 2012
Hello, we, my family and I, are so very new to the idea of chickens in the back yard. I set up the old dog kennel (6 X 10), two dog houses, 3 perches about the same height off the ground, 6 pullets, a watering bottle, and starter scratch. The city came to inspect that the "coop" was 50 ft from the residence and we only have 6. Now we are waiting to see if we are approved to be allow to keep them. In the mean time we are working on nesting boxes. I found a good plan at ByExample.com. We are waiting to see if approved before spending to much $ on more permenant shelter. We have gotten attached to them already. They are basically free range during the day and hearded back to the coop at night. I was told they are great bug control for the yard as well as eggs. I am very open to advice as long as i am not attacked like i was on the GuineaPig site (no- we did not have them for food- they were my pets) . OH and yes those are ducks in my avatar. We had them about 9 yrs ago until i convinced my husband the water bill was too outrageous... over 100 a month. Will get a pick of the chicks soon .... hope they are chicks; not allow to have a rooster.

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
No attacks here. We are a kinder, gentler group - mostly.
hide.gif
You've come to a good place. Ask your questions and if the answers seem logical give it a try. If too far 'off the wall' wait before implementing suggestions.
roll.png

Hello and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
Hope you get approved!

Thank you. :) the chickens seem happy with there settings but i know we will need to have something more winter resistant if approved to keep them. It should not be a problem but you know the sit and wait game bites.

HI and welcome from Western Colorado... you'll love this site, everyone has been helpful and kind to me since I joined. You'll be very glad you joined. Good luck with the city approval.

Back
Top Bottom