New to the chicken world, advice welcomed:)

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us.

All yolks have a white dot and fertilized yolks will have more of a target shaped spot. I am not a pro and don't have a rooster, so I can't really identify this for you, but it certainly looks edible.

Thanks for the reply:) yep they were definitely edible, lol. I was just curious if that was a fertilized egg or not. My hens have very diff personalities, but look the same. They started out as "Lucy and Ethel", but due to Lucy's mean little attitude and zero tolerance for being petted, her name is now Ninja, lol

First....
welcome-byc.gif
D.gif

You will find endless knowledge of poultry here!

Now to your post..
You will see a white spot or a target shape on the yolk, it is hard to see, so you would have to look hard sometimes.
The white strand,you see holds the yolk in the middle of the shell, it is edible.

If you see red or black spots in the egg, that is a meat spot. DO NOT eat.

Sorry, I am wrong, I was in poultry judging in FFA and in the commercial egg laying biz, You are required to throw it out.
So when I think of meat spot I think of do not eat.

But you are correct, It is safe to eat. It is in 1% percent of layed eggs, and is caused by a ruptured blood vessel in the process of egg formation. It also indicates that it is fresh, as the liquids inside the egg as it ages, dilutes the meat spot.

Back
Top Bottom