New To The Chicken World, Question On My Silkies

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by vfem, Aug 4, 2008.

1. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Thats right, completely new and not sure where to go or what to do, then found you guys.

In fact, finding this site made me fall in love with the breed and its what we are starting with. Gorgeous birds, even my husband (anti bird man:|) has come to cuddle them. Right now they run the house, and as they torment the cat, they will be going out in the coop in another week or 2.

So, got 2 silkies (Buff Bearded) on July 13th, one was 2 weeks old and the other one week and a couple days. We hoped for hens, but had no way of knowing. About how old will the have to be to tell? I'd like to know soon if possible. I'm hoping to get 2 more (3 if one is a rooster) before the month ends.

Any other helpful hints on Silkies is appreciated. [​IMG]

Thanks

~Shannon~

2. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

can't answer any of your ?, but just wanted to say welcome, and get ready for total addiction if you're not there already! [​IMG]

3. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    PICTUREEEES!#!$
    Pleasseeeeee?! [​IMG]

4. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Pictures would help but silkies are very hard to sex until they are older.
    We need good shots of their heads.

5. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Hmmm... I gotta figure out how to add a photo...
    ok lets try this.

This is Pinky and The Brain

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I really need to get a newer photo, those were from last tuesday.
    Pinky is just being, not so 'handlable' today.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
  6. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I learned that some silkies you can't tell what sex they are until its about time to lay or crow. Mine were very difficult.......but you will learn by raising them how to guess pretty good for future poultry [​IMG] I found the girls keep their beak to the ground and try to go un-noticed. The boys have their head up watching every move you make. Try not to worry too much about the sex and just enjoy them. The roosters are not big or loud so its not as big of a deal. Welcome to BYC [​IMG]

7. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    The one with the tail is a roo. The other is a hen.
    Other than size and posture there isn't much to go on but I've been pretty
    good at sexing silkies. I could be totally wrong too.

8. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Can you get a nice shot of the comb? Often it is a good way to tell, or, better guess [​IMG] LOL

9. goldnchocolate

goldnchocolate Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Welcome to the world of chickens!! [​IMG]

I have 2 white silkie roosters that someone was giving away on Craigslist and they get along great. My previous rooster was small and not very dangerous but he would wait until my back was turned and then run at me from behind. With these 2 silkie boys, I've never had them sneak up on me.

I do have to say that you won't be able to stop with just 2 more [​IMG] [​IMG] ....chickens are very addictive and you will want some more before very long---so you might as well get it over with and get them now...hahahaha!! [​IMG]

10. Momma_Cluck

Momma_Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    N. West Michigan
    Our "mixed box O'Chicken included 4 white Silkies and 3 black bearded silkies--- that was 11 weeks ago...
    we weren't able to tell until their waddles grew in and the combs enlarged--- at about 8-9 weeks...and their not real good at crowing yet! (The Old english and seabright has em practicing tho!)
    As for agressive-- ours were very timid- despite being hand-raised in daughters bedroom along w/the other chicks.. but now that they are older, are braver and come to us for attention. No aggression except occasionally "stomping" on the smaller OE Roo's that peck at them!

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by