New to the chicken world! What breed are my yellow chicks?

Oh my hubby got a hold of someone who knew more at Tractor Supply. Our light yellow chicks are "leghorn"! Will they get along with gold/black sex link? With little experience I have, and with them, I did find myself with more difficulty holding the leghorns, and they seem to be more bold than the rest....

I heard leghorns are not children friendly.... They are so cute right now, but I don't want my girl to get hurt later, or to find out they are all boys... we are debating to exchange them to either gold or black sex link pullets. At least with all the reading I know how to tell boys from girls with sex link breeds!

G’Day from down under hidekumo
frow.gif
Welcome!

As you have already received some good advice and links, I will just wish you and your little ones all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

Oh my hubby got a hold of someone who knew more at Tractor Supply. Our light yellow chicks are "leghorn"! Will they get along with gold/black sex link? With little experience I have, and with them, I did find myself with more difficulty holding the leghorns, and they seem to be more bold than the rest....

Leghorns are considered "flighty" which I understand to mean they are busy being chickens and maybe aren't that people-oriented. Just spend time with yours while they are small, handle them as much as you do the others. No matter what the breed, some chickens, just seem (to me) to bond with people more. For example, I had 3 red sex links in my mixed flock...1 of them was my sweetest lap chicken and followed me around begging for attention. Her 2 sisters didn't want that kind of human interaction, they were happy just going about their business.

As for how they'll get along with your other chickens, since they are being raised together they should be fine.

One big plus for the Leghorns, they are terrific layers of big white eggs! Gotta love the egg laying factor!

Thanks! Can't believe they are already one week old. This morning when my girl brought them some fermented seeds treat, they ran up to her! Took them over 3 days to warm up to us. So worth the effort!

Back
Top Bottom