New to the Chicken World

:welcome to they new members. If you do have a male Silkie, you could hatch some chicks. Female Silkies are notorious broody's. No need for an incubator. The kids would love it. I have some teachers and 4H leaders who get eggs from me in the spring for their classes to hatch.

No problem, newbies need to stick together lol. One bit of advice that I ran into already, make sure your new coop is big enough for the amount of birds you want. My coop is 8x8 with 12 hens and 1 Roo. It's a little tight right now but they were all rescues.
An 8x8 coop is fine as long as they have enough roost space in the coop and run or pen space. I bought this shed and eventually converted it to a coop. The coops in the following pictures are each around 8x8.
DSC00567.JPG

These were my first 2 coops.
IMG_0197.JPG

I added a window to the coop on the left.
IMG_0196.JPG

I have silkies of my own and I gave her the cutest hair cut one time I gave my male silkie a Mohawk anyway they start laying eggs between 7-9 months, they have good senses but I'd trim the hair a bit, even if the egg is fertilized u can still eat it if its been under 5-10 days. It takes 21 days for a chick to hatch if properly cared for

I have silkies of my own and I gave her the cutest hair cut one time I gave my male silkie a Mohawk anyway they start laying eggs between 7-9 months, they have good senses but I'd trim the hair a bit, even if the egg is fertilized u can still eat it if its been under 5-10 days. It takes 21 days for a chick to hatch if properly cared for
Thanks for the info!!

Back
Top Bottom