New to the chicken world.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by philja, Aug 18, 2011.

1. philja

philja New Egg

Aug 18, 2011
    My wife, child, and I have recently jumped into chickens with a flock of 6. Living in Las Vegas, NV, we had a bit of difficulty finding a feed store that sold them, but we eventually came home with our flock. We have a mix of 3 plymouth barred, 1 red star, 1 polish, and 1 rhode island red; all around 3 weeks old. Coop construction was wrapped up on Tuesday and now we eagerly await moving our chicks outside (feeling a bit bad about the plastic tub they are in now).

We are all excited about our new adventure with the chicks, teaching our daughter where 'food' comes from, and having our little piece of farm life in the big city.

Thanks for all the wonderful information that we've already gathered from this great site.
    James

2. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

Hello! And [​IMG]

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

[​IMG] to BYC from California!

I so love to read posts from new folks who actually get involved in learning about chickens before they get them. [​IMG]

BYC is such an awesome, interactive resource! It's a great place to learn stuff so you don't make mistakes, and a wonderful forum to peruse when you need to fix a mistake you made because you didn't come here first.
    [​IMG]

Enjoy your flock!

4. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from WA. glad you joined us [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. philja

philja New Egg

Aug 18, 2011
    BYC certainly is a complete chicken resource.
    We used the 'breeds' page when we were looking to learn the characteristics of what we had available at our feed store, looked at the 'coop designs' page when we were planning our coop (eventually went with 'thegardencoop.com' plan, but bigger) and the 'learning center' page for everything else. The only thing that I haven't been able to find is "when can I move them outside?" I have the opposite situation of most. Usually people can't move them out because it's too cold...., today it was a high of 107 and a low of 82. Their wings and tails are all feathered out, but I'm concerned they might not be able to cool down enough. I'm trying to acclimate them by taking them out for an hour or two in the morning, and I sit in the coop with them and watch to make sure they are ok, then it's back inside. [​IMG]

6. Kaeta44

Kaeta44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Can't help with advice on when to let them out, as we rarely get those temperatures in England. But I do applaud you for spending time with them. It will help you get to know them better. If you know them really well, it will help you quickly spot if something isn't quite right with them and the quicker you can get help for them, the better.

I'm sure you'll get a lot of pleasure from your little flock, and well done for doing your research before you got them. So many people don't bother.

YourLinkGoesHere http://muckycluckers.blogspot.com/

7. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    Welcome to BYC!

8. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Hello [​IMG] from Hesperia,CA and [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

10. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by