NEW TO THE CHICKEN WORLD

Dawnschix

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 2, 2013
Hello everyone!

I am Dawn and I live in Carroll County, MD. I have just started with chickens and am very excited. Right now I have 7 'babies' living in a tub in my garage (to cold to be outside yet). I am enjoying watching them scratch and watch me......they seem to be very curious about me and what I am doing (I suspect it has more to do with the possibility of food than actually ME). The girls have started pecking at each others backs and I am reading this may be an issues as they grow and will quickly need larger living quarters....I am on it though!!
I have not yet given them anything but their crumbles....however after reading around this site.....I think today I am going to offer them some tomato for dinner and see how they like that!! I also am trying to 'train' them to respond to me clicking my tongue so i click my tongue before approaching them and when I feed them. Now, as soon as they hear my first click they start peeping....maybe it is working :)

welcome-byc.gif

welcome-byc.gif
you could use one of those dog"clicker" training things and save a lot of wear and tear on your tongue. The way to a chicken's heart is thru their stomach. But after a time, I really think some of them develop a relationship with their keeper beyond food

Hi and :welcome

Hehe, that's a good idea with the clicking.
Our chickens generally just recognise the footsteps of the person who feeds them, coming round the garden path.

Back
Top Bottom