New to the Chicken World ;)

ArmourFarmers

Chirping
7 Years
Sep 12, 2014
Cameron, North Carolina
Hi, my name is Drea and my husband and I recently decided to go chicken! It was something I always had an interest in, but found it hard to do living the city life in San Diego. Well, now we have found ourselves living in rural Cameron, North Carolina and ready to embrace the country lifestyle and everything that goes along with it. Our big yard just seemed so empty with nothing, but a 10 pound Chihuahua mutt in it, so our coop designs and building plans are now in full swing. I'm overly sentimental about every little creature, so we definitely wanted a friendly, egg laying, back yard pet. Our neighbors have Buff Orpington's that we just love, so that's the breed we have decided to start with. Being beginners at this we decided to start with two. We picked them up at two weeks old and they just had their 6 week birthday! Just in time with my husband finishing up their big girl coop and run...they're quick growers and hard to catch when they don't want to be put back in their baby cage. So far the experience has been great and we love being chicken owners!

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

Feel free to ask lots of questions! We're all here to help.
smile.png

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I have raised Buff Orpingtons for years and they are a great beginner's breed; hardy, beautiful, very friendly and gentle (my children, and now my granddaughter made lap pets of ours), and good layers of large, brown eggs. Do be careful of your dog being around the chickens. We have a lot of BYC members that can attest (often to their sorrow) that chickens and dogs don't usually mix well (even small dogs). We frequently get new member sob stories about their chickens unexpectedly being chased and even killed by their dogs. And in some of these cases, it's been Chihuahuas that did it. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your BOs.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Oh, Buff Orps are a great breed to keep! Orps are very docile, gentle, very friendly and great layers too! They are quite hardy over all as well. You will love them!

Good luck on this new journey you are on! If you have any questions along the way, feel free to ask. Welcome to our flock!

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Good luck with your birds!

Thanks for the heads up. She is a sweet dog, but I've heard many horror stories as well and I'll definitely be airing on the overly cautious side. I'm so concerned about something getting to them that we've researched all the ways to secure their coop and I'm still afraid to leave them outside over night...even in a fenced back yard!

Thanks for all the warm welcomes!

Last edited:
Welcome! Chickens are kind of like potato chips, you can't just stop at a couple of them! This site has lots of great info!

We have two Yorkies. T-Bone, our 2.5 pounder, likes to think he could take on our chickens and even manage to squeeze through the fence into their yard once! We were lucky, he only chased them in circles while barking. Pretty sure he realized that they were bigger than him and a full-fledged attck would be unwise!

Good luck in your new hobby!

Welcome to BYC!

You will find a lot of good information here. Keep on asking questions and you will get many good answers.

You may also want to read the FAQ below.

Good luck on your venture!

Back
Top Bottom