New to the community...

EmpressOfEden

In the Brooder
Mar 24, 2019
Western Quebec, Canada
Good day all! I have just acquired eggs for incubating! 12 Easter Eggers, 18 Olive Eggers and 6 duck eggs (unsure of type or if they will hatch...took a chance with those ones!). I am also waiting on Salmon Faverolles and Black Copper Marans. We also have a flock of 23 layers coming to us once the coop is done.

We live on a 5 acre hobby farm that we purchased in 2014. We have been working on completing some much needed renovations since then. The renovations are not complete but I didn't want to wait another season to get our chickens! The children are getting older and time is passing so quickly. I wanted to give them this experience when they were still young.

We have 18 days until our eggs hatch (my son informs me every morning how many days we have left! Haha) I have one concern..... after a few weeks inside, I am worried about putting them outside and having them run off and not returning to the coop at night. Our coop is not fenced and we do live in a wooded area. I really want them to be able to free range! Does anyone have any suggestions on how to ensure they do not wander off and not return home?

In the future, we will also look into getting some cow. Our goal is to be entirely self sustained.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
This is a new endeavor for us. We have 30 chicken eggs and 6 duck eggs in the incubator.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
None just yet!

(3) What breeds do you have?
Easter Eggers, Olive Eggers, an unknown variety of ducks and we will also be adding some Cream Legbars in a few weeks!

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
I love the idea of knowing exactly what goes into our food and being able to feed my family the healthiest possible food. I also like to have a respectful relationship with the animals. I love that I can give my children this experience!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
I love to read and spend time outdoors. I love walking outside and sitting by the stream. I love renovating and painting! I enjoy cooking and I LOVE playing the guitar. Playing the guitar outside is heaven! I love to learn new instruments as well. I have recently picked up the harmonica and I am really enjoying it!

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I have 4 children and 5 cats. We also have a dog and will be adding another in the future. We will also be getting some cattle and possibly rabbits :)

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
I found BYC through a google search when I was looking for some information on raising chickens. It seemed like a very welcoming place with friendly people and I wanted to be a part of that :)

Last edited:
:yesss: :welcome :yesss:
Miss Piggy Sue says, “Welcome to our eggcelent flock here at BYC!”

0476498B-E8E5-4477-8ED1-3779AADE8032.jpeg

Hi and welcome to BYC :frow We're so happy you've decided to join us :ya

You may want to invest in some portable electric fencing as well. And just to confirm, you do know the ducks will take an extra week to hatch (28 days);)

We have a contest going on right now just for new folks like you. In order to enter you'll need to copy the link from your first post in this thread and post it in the contest thread.

To copy your link address, right click on the link to your thread and click copy or copy link
2019-02-09_16-09-54-jpg.1671012
then click on the following URL
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...t-new-byc-members-win-a-byc-calendar.1287752/
Go down to where it says "write your reply..." tell us this is your entry and then click on the link button
2019-02-09_16-13-22-jpg.1671016

Paste your URL into the box and click "insert", then click "Post Reply".
2019-02-09_16-14-09-jpg.1671019

That's all there is to it. Once you've finished this, you're eligible to win a nice BYC Calendar.

Back
Top Bottom