New to the community

Amy_2cnnv

In the Brooder
Feb 14, 2020
The house we just bought cake with 20 hens and a 10 month jersey giant rooster. My Akita dug under my fence about 3 months later and decide they would be awesome toys. Needless to say they didn’t squeak when she played with them and when one toy stopped working she went on to the next one. Sadly I lost 12 hens and my roo. we fixed the fence so our escape artist will stay inside and got 16 day old chicks. 2 passed within the first couple of days but am currently raising the other 14 who are about 3 weeks old. My original flock has a barred Plymouth Rock. That’s the only one I know the name of. 3 speckled ones (one has an Afro). 2 red colored ones. 2 black ones (one has an Afro) I love watching the chickens run around my yard and collecting the eggs for breakfast. I joined here so I could learn more about these beautiful creatures. I’m a mother of 3 (well 5 of you count my fur babies which are both Akita’s). I am a 911 dispatcher who also happens to be married to a police officer. Hi!!!

Welcome to Backyard Chickens. It's best if dogs and chickens never meet. Chickens end up dead. You might need a few strands of electrified fencing around your chicken fencing. Akitas are very strong dogs and that may be all that will stop them.
we have buried some chicken wire about 2 ft down and attached it with zip ties to the bottom of the chainlink fence. its deterred them at out past house cause she digs and then realizes that she is hitting something that isnt soft dirt and she doesnt like it. i tried the electric fence around the bottom of the chainlink and my female got hit by it and thought the male got her and they fought. so electric fence went bye bye. but my surviving girls know to stay away from the fence now

Back
Top Bottom