New to the coop hen being attacked by established hen

Lisa91

Hatching
Dec 8, 2015
Auckland
Help I need advice, my neighbours dog got my lovely hen yesterday :(
I found another locally to place in the coop. I only had two chickens so one egg would almost be pointless to collect.
After a small amount of time the new hen went and sat in the nesting box and rested meanwhile my old hen was flying at the wires banging her head and kicking the door. She was cackling which is unusual.

I left them alone to calm down, this evening I had to go out and noticed my old hen standing on the new hens beck pecking her red thingy and making it bleed so ive separated them. My old hen is in bed and my new hen in the cat carry cage.

How do I make this work?

The old hen is claiming dominance, establishing a pecking order. Keep them seperate but so they can see each other for a week or so. also keep two sources of water and food in the coop. time will help.

Welcome to Backyard chickens. Put " how to integrate new bird," in the search box - some articles should pop up. Chickens have a very strict pecking order even if there are only two of them. Your dominant hen is letting the newbie understand she is boss.

welcome-byc.gif
glad you have joined us.

Introducing a single hen is difficult ( and most say impossible) especially with a bully around.

Here's my article on a similar situation: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/reintegrating-a-recovered-hen-to-a-small-flock

Hope this helps.

It took me 2 months to get one established hen back into her flock, but well worth the trouble.

Back
Top Bottom