New to the Coop

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by rileyelliott, Oct 23, 2013.

1. rileyelliott

rileyelliott Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2013
    Hi All,

I recently moved out of New York City to upstate for the year (Fingerlakes region) and decided to finally live my dream of having chickens in my own backyard. I've cared for chickens for years on a farm in Montana, but never full time. I'm writing for the first time because I'm picking up my three black Copper Maran hens (1 year old) tomorrow, and I'm a little nervous and looking for some reassurance that I'm doing everything right!

My house is a little cabin on a lake, and I have a small woodshed with two sides attached to my house (4'Lx3'Wx3.5'H) that I've converted into a little coop, with a nice roost board and pine shavings. I have a 10'x10' run that attaches to the coop that I've reinforced/covered with hardware cloth to keep all the western NY predators out. There's a feeder trough in the coop, and a 2L water bottle with a beaktime cup on it. There's ventilation, but not too much, as the winters are cold here. I'm not planning to warm the coop in any way, just feed them cracked corn and insulate the exposed sides with foam board insulation (covered) when temps drop.

Right now the plan is to pick them up in the evening and let them stay in the coop for 5 days or so to adjust, during which time I'll monitor that they can use the beaktime cups and aren't pecking each other/freezing to death. Then I'll let them into the run, and hopefully all will go smoothly.

Any thoughts suggestions? I'd love to hear peoples experiences with just 3 hens; with Marans; with wintering birds and still getting eggs. . .; with small coop sizes (i'm really worried mine is too small).

Thanks and I don't think I could have done this without BYC!

Riley

2. ktgouge

ktgouge Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2013
    Lovely East Texas
    Welcome! [​IMG] Please let me know how you are doing with the Marans; they are beautiful birds! :)

3. chickenboy190

chickenboy190 Overrun With Chickens

May 31, 2013
    Ohio
    Welcome! Glad you joined BYC! :~D

4. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

5. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Hello & welcome from the Finger Lakes, where are you located? We have snow predicted for the weekend, so be prepared! Sounds like you have everything organized for your 'children' [​IMG] I think your coop size will be fine if you are planning to let them 'free-range' some during the day, I read somewhere that you should allow 4ft of space/bird for heavy breeds. Good luck with your enterprise and fingers crossed for no snow....Sue

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] Sounds good except for the part of giving them cracked corn for feed. It can be used as a treat but, is not meant to meet their nutritional needs. It would also help if you could post photos of your coop. You mentioned it has a little ventilation - it may need more.

8. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

9. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

Welcome and enjoy!
    Steve.:frow

10. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by