New to the Crew

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by baasanders, Sep 11, 2019.

1. baasanders

baasanders In the Brooder

Sep 11, 2019
    Hey Everyone,

I've been spying on this website for awhile now, and have gotten some very useful information!! I'm Bethany, and I'm fairly new to the chicken life. I start with eight, which was a lot for a new chicken mom, but hey, go big or go home, LOL!! I got started when I fell in love with my cousin's chicks and have to have some of my own. Me and her left on lunch and when I came back to work, I was the proud owner of 2 Easter Eggers, 2 Rhode Island Reds, 4 Orpingtons. And when I say came back to work, they came with me!! I set them up in a rabbit cage, with a heat lamp in the hall way, and we all had a blast that day!! They are about 3-4 months old now.

I then went to "Dog Days" in my area, which is an over sized, extremely country, flea market, with everything from knick knacks to livestock. I thought I was country, but I was prepared for the level of country here. I almost came unglued, when I saw them stuffing live chickens in potato sacks. So I knew I had to rescue something. So I saw this one hen, and by the loss of feathers and the farmers jokes about her being the roosters favorite, I knew she was the one!! She adapted quickly!! And I rescued 3 chicks, but my black Turken was the only one to survive. Those farmers had a kick out of me and my cousin walking away with chickens in a cat carrier, and us calling ourselves "city country".

I've since added 2 Cochins, 2 Delawares, 1 male rescue call duck (in need of a female friend), and 2 ducklings!!

2. N F C

N F C Champion

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    :welcome

Hi, it's nice to have you here with us!

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC.

4. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.

5. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Hello Bethany and welcome to BYC. I hope that you enjoy your time here.

This is a useful link to take a look at - “How to...” guides. You may wish to consider including your location under your avatar (using the guide in the link above). You can use this link to contact members in your area - U.S. States

Best wishes

Pork Pie

6. ValerieJ

ValerieJ Free Ranging

Jul 24, 2016
    Washington State
    Hi! :frow Welcome to BYC!

7. Chickologist

Chickologist Chirping

Jul 19, 2019
    Kentucky
    WELCOME TO BYC!!!
    This is the #1 place to ask and answer chicken questions with other chicken lovers!
    :clap

-Chickologist

8. Meg-in-MT

Meg-in-MT Crossing the Road

Jan 29, 2018
    SW Montana
    Hello! Welcome to BYC!! :frow

9. CatWhisperer

CatWhisperer Songster

Jun 16, 2013
    northwest Arkansas
    Wow, what a start into your chicken adventure! I see you have already discovered chicken math. Great that you rescue chickens in need of a good home. Welcome to BYC!

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    So glad you joined us at Backyard Chickens. Hope you will enjoy it as much as we do. :jumpy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: