New to the flock!

May 30, 2019
Vinton, LA
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

New to chickens / I got my first chickens back in April!

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

Started out with 20 chickens, 10 ducks. 1 chicken died, 4 were abducted from their pin. 2 ducks died unexpectedly, 1 was plucked bare and died shortly after.
And we just bought 7 more chickens today!

(3) What breeds do you have?

Americaunas, Rhode Island Reds, Cornish Rocks (the OGs)
Black sexlinks (still don’t understand what that is) (the newbies)
Ducks are Mallards

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

They’re so much fun to watch. I love to watch them run and scratch around. I like the fact that I’ll be eating and hatching their eggs, and raising my own food to butcher.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Fishing & hunting

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I’m full time nurse, full time chicken and duck mom, and full time dog mom. We have our bird dog, Gracie. She’s a black lab and she loves to hunt.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

Googling some questions about being a first time chicken/duck mom brought me to the page. I joined the community because none of my friends talk chickens with me. So I figured maybe I could learn new things and make new friends along the way!

Hi and welcome to BYC and congrats on your new hobby. Sex links involves the cross-breeding of specific feather colour birds to produce off-spring that can be sexed at hatch.

Here are some links to key resources:

Best wishes

Pork Pie

Back
Top Bottom