New to the forum, How do I get my ducks to like me

Viola Achad

Hatching
11 Years
Dec 3, 2008
Chula Vista, California
Hi this is my first post, I wanted to address this issue, I started off with two Rhode Island reds one died but Bertha the survivor is very friendly, I then got two Americanas and two female ducks which I do not know the breed. they Grew up together (still growing), the ducks much faster, I can see the Americanas starting to get friendly with me but the Ducks are scared, if I get to close they run away the little Americanas follow them so they run away from me too . How do I get the ducks to warm up I never got the chance to handle them when they where smaller. Is it too late? please help fellow duck owners.

My girls, Bertha, Rhode Island Red. Marla & Loren, Americanas. Sasha & Sonya, Ducks

LOL< once they associate you with food, they'll be all kinds of friendly.

But really, the more time you spend around them the more they will get used to you. It'll come, take your time.
smile.png

They do, the little Americanas are starting to get closer, once I put food out but the Ducks run away from like if I'm about to eat them , other than that they love there surroundings They free range most of the day and have started swimming I have a couple of watering pools for them would something like handing out worms or treats help.

my 4 ducklings don't really like me either. they like my goose, but think i'm awful. Regardless, i occasionally corner one and pet it, or carry it over to a freshly filled pool. when i put them in a nice new pool, they swim around a little, watching me like crazy, and then when they deem it to be safe, they run right back to mr. goose. Oh, they also squirt poo when scared/mad/annoyed.

I let my ducks come to me. I sit at the door to their pen, quietly, and not approaching them. Pretty soon their curiousity gets the best of them and they waddle on over. I've learned that they love to "snuffle" my hands.... I hold a hand out and just let them have at it. Their favorite is when I have my hand somewhat closed... like a fist, only with an open spot they stick their bills into and "snuffle". Don't know what else to call it, but they sure enjoy the activity and it's quite entertaining!

try using more inticing good smelling food. Like peas or fresh corn... see if they'll come by you. If not trying throwing them some, with each throw getting a little closer each time. Try bending down to feed it to them. It might be slow gloing but they could get less skittish with time. unfortunetely ducks are skittish and not trusting easily. I hand raised mine from the beginning, even had one of mine imprint on me, and they both still will run away if i approach them to fast or without food, lol.

You want the ducks to "accept" you into their flock. the more they see you and you have food, the more likely they will accept you. once you are a part of the flock, you might be able to get close enough to pick them up. Usually with ducks, they won't want to be picked up, but once you get them their and they like the petting (esp on the top of the head side to side) they'll just close their eyes in enjoyment. Ducks don't do anything they don't immediatley feel like oing, but they'll do what you make them simply because they don't want to disturb the peace. lol

I have always found ducks much more nervous than chickens and have just accepted this as the way they are. I don't need to handle them and have managed to catch one if it has been unwell in the past. You will need to spend a lot of time and be really patient - it depends how desperate you are to touch them and what breed they are. I think if they are runners you will never manage oit.

They are an animal of instinct. So they will react that way since it is in their instinct. Mine associate me with food but still do not want me near them although I can get closer now then before. Remember that you shouldn't be standing up. Just like with kids, it is best to try to get eye level with them. You will seem less big and scary.

jeremy

Ducks are spazzes.

Out of about 20 ducks, 7 will come and eat out of my hand and only one will let me pick him up. Well 2 will. One is an imprinted drake and one is a crippled girl who has no choice but to submit to being loved on.
lol.png

Just be calm around them at all times and sit with them quietly offering trreats in your open hand. It might take a while but eventually they will decide you are really not going to pluck them and BBQ them on the beach.

Patience is the key with ducks. They will probably never let you pick them up, but if you can get them to eat from your hand you are doing well.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom