New to the forum, suggestions on strategy

caters

Hatching
Dec 10, 2015
I am new to the forum. I know that a hen being very protective of the eggs is broody which probably means that at least 1 egg is fertile.

I haven't had chickens before. If I do have chickens at some point I would start with a few full grown hens, mostly layer breeds. Once I get comfortable with hens and the hens get comfortable with me, I would then get 1, just 1 rooster so that I don't have many of the aggression issues that can result when you have multiple roosters.

Is this a good strategy for a first timer? If it is, great. If it isn't, then what is a better strategy because I am not sure that I want to start with day old chicks or fertile eggs and an incubator(I mean all the turning of the eggs, checking on the chicks periodically to see how they are growing, risks of having mostly roosters in the clutch including aggression towards me and the other chickens). I am also not sure I want to start with a pullet only order since again I have the risk that it is mostly or only cockerels which while they are nice and gentle in the beginning(sometimes even more docile than the pullets), when they become roosters they are most likely going to be aggressive.

Your way will be much more expensive then buying day old. But beyond that there isn't anything wrong with it. If you are going to free-range them a rooster become much more important. But if they are going to stay in their coop and run a rooster is less important.
I had great luck with my pullet order All females, but you are correct you do risk getting some cockerels that way.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. OrganicFarmWife has given you some good advice. Most hatcheries will guarantee at least 90% accuracy on pullet orders and if you order Black or Red Sex Links (which are hardy egg laying machines), they will guarantee 100% on pullet orders since they can be sexed by color from hatching. If you do decide to get an incubator and some eggs for hatching, you can avoid the turning hassle by getting one with an automatic turner and a circulating air fan. I've had very good hatch rates even from the inexpensive Styrofoam incubators with these features. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

There are pros and cons to any strategy. It boils down to sooner or later you have problems - you can't avoid them. You have to keep calm and face them. I don't know of any perfect situations

I already welcomed you on your other intro so will just say Hi
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom