1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New to the forum

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by AlphaRaposa, Jun 14, 2016.

1. AlphaRaposa

AlphaRaposa New Egg

Jun 14, 2016
    Hoosier State
    Hello! I've been dreaming about the chance to have some chickens of my own for years, now, but never lived any place where I could.

Well, we're about to close on a house in Richmond, Indiana! I can't have a big flock there, but three laying hens would be enough to keep my family in eggs most of the year. I'm still in the daydreaming/planning stages, since I can't start building until we actually move in.

I hatched an idea to build a couple of 4' x 12' raised garden beds, then build a coop and run to fit on top and switch back and forth each year. If I make the run detachable, it shouldn't be too hard to move them in the early winter months. That'd be a 4x3 coop and a 4x9 run. I plan to use cinder block for the raised bed edges, so I can plant some around the bed in the holes, too.

I'm full of thoughts but so new! I need to pick a breed (thinking Sussex, Black Star, or Buff Orps), find or draw up plans for the coop, and decide what, if any, winter cover crops will go on the "chicken bed" this fall. I'd like to have everything ready for some chickens to move in come spring.

I have two young boys (6 and 3) who will probably want to help but tend to be boisterous, so I need to factor that into my plans.

Anyway.

Hello! I'm glad to be here! I'm excited about finally having a chance to get my own chickens!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Congratulations on your new home, and good luck in establishing your flock.

3. uncertainty

uncertainty Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2015
    Great White North
    Hi; so glad you joined BYC. I find this to be a particularly nice on-line community with very helpful members. I bet you will be surprised at how gentle your boys will be with the chicks. Caring for animals teaches kids some very valuable skills. Good luck, I know you will have fun.

4. AlphaRaposa

AlphaRaposa New Egg

Jun 14, 2016
    Hoosier State

Thanks! My main thought is that means I need to pick a sturdy breed that takes handling well. Either that, or runs away from them without getting stressed about it.

5. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]

You will love having them. Yes, it's a great thing for children to have something like this to work with. I am having fun with the sex link breed for egg production! Eggs! My red sex links have always been friendly, and talkative...they wont' be until they start laying though. I just don't handle them much, and then I just give them a pat on the back when they do start coming around, chatting away. :) Eggs!

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us! Best of luck with the new home and all your wonderful plans!

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Good luck with all your poultry projects and welcome to BYC! :)

8. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you join us.

Remember, any breeds can be mixed and matched. Don't be afraid to get one of each! Black Sex Links (aka Black Stars) are my personal favorite common breed. They are productive, friendly, beautiful, and can be sexed with 100% accuracy, so no "oopsters"! They make the perfect backyard bird. That said, there are so many great breeds available, it's crazy to limit yourself to just one!

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I would suggest you go larger in coop and run size. What you mention would be adequate but, more room is always better, especially if your area tends to have weather extremes.

If the birds were confined to coop due to that, they would be less likely to act out if there is more room to spread out.

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by