New to the group

TheRebRanch

Hatching
May 6, 2015
Greetings from the Pacific NW.
TO answer your questions...

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
- It is not new to my husband as he grew up on a mini farm in Kansas but new to me and our kiddos. We got our chickens the first part of March

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

- We currently have 3

(3) What breeds do you have?

- We have Rhode Island Reds

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
- I was actually doing an internet search to determine if one of ours is a rooster.. (I still do not know how to tell and hope we dont)

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

- we like to hunt and go to the lake. I am big on planting a garden and quilting.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

We have a border collie/shep dog who wants to heard the chickens more than anything from their coup and young kids to just love them. We even built our own Coup which I think turned out amazing.. All is left is our trim.

I did want to mention that you may want to consider something a little stronger than the poultry netting it appears you have used - especially as your own dog is showing an interest in the birds (to be expected) as poultry netting is great for keeping birds in or out of a certain area, but does nothing to keep predators from getting through. Alternatives would be hardware cloth (the most expensive) or a heavier gauge fencing such as weld wire, field fence, etc for strength and poultry netting over that.

We do have heavier wire on top that is more like a cattle fence. That is funny you mention it because we have discussed something a little sturdier for the sides. It is always a work in progress.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Nice intro! Pretty coop too! I had three chickens for a time. I just loved having a small flock. Makes it so easy to bond with them and discover their personalities.

Last edited:
Yes.. the coup is still a work in progress.. next will be red trim and some little touches.. it was the first time building it but my husband and I had fun. I was hoping for more but will start out with three and see how it goes. We might have a rooster on our hands so that will be interesting.

I am looking forward to being a part of this page.. its really neat.

Yes.. the coup is still a work in progress.. next will be red trim and some little touches.. it was the first time building it but my husband and I had fun. I was hoping for more but will start out with three and see how it goes. We might have a rooster on our hands so that will be interesting.

I am looking forward to being a part of this page.. its really neat.

Well it's looking great!

Can't wait to chatting more with you!
big_smile.png
See you around BYC
frow.gif

Generally we recommend 1/2" hardware cloth rather than flimsy chicken wire. We do not get kickbacks from doing so
gig.gif
It is much more durable, and the small openings keep out more predators. Welcome to Backyard chickens.

Back
Top Bottom