new to the hatchery

hotredz

Hatching
10 Years
Apr 27, 2009
Orillia,Ont
we are new to hatching and thought it would be a good experiment for our kids to watch a chicken develop. I have approx 30 eggs that i got from my work on a farm to see if they could be hatched. The chickens look like isa reds, we would like to know how to candle a brown egg as they don't seem to be transparent as white ones. If anyone can help we have 3 children who have already started naming the eggs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I'm new to this too. I'll tell you what worked for me. I have 'scovie eggs and they are white and I had no problem candleing them. Yesterday my step dad brought me some mallard eggs he just about plowed under in the field.. They are brown but I don't know how dark they are compared to your eggs, but my normal candleing method didn't work for these. So I took the hubbys huge (think its called 1 000 000 candle light) flash light and covered the light part with tin foil with just a small egg shaped hole cut in the tin foil. In a dark room I held the eggs up to the light and can now see a little ducky embryo swimming around.
Hope this helps
Good luck.

I've even used a "Pringles" potato chip can slid over any lamps light bulb(lamp shade removed) with an oval cut out of the bottom just a hair smaller than egg size so they can't fall through. Works great but do it in dark room to intensify what you're seeing, it makes all the difference if done in the dark! The pringles can fits snuggly around standard light bulb and has foil type interior insulation which seems to prevent any fire hazard. I've had the light on for quite some time w/60 and 75w bulbs w/ no problem. Its a cheap but efficient way of canseling and only costs about a buck, but you also get free chips then also!!!!!
smile.png
big_smile.png
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom