New to the Nest

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Chicken Salad, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Chicken Salad

Chicken Salad Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2008
    Frederick, Maryland
    Hi - I'm Jenna. I live in Western Maryland. I'm still just dreamin' o' peeps - but I was given a timber playhouse last weekend that I can modify into a lovely bird abode so I'm stoked!

I have never kept chickens. Last spring I got into a broiler project with the 4-H secretary (I work in an Extension office)...but when the dreaded "processing day" came I vowed never to do that again. So instead - I've been plotting and scheming to have a laying flock. I'm also getting into beekeeping this next spring, as well. Birds and Bees?

My coop will hold 4 birds and so now I'm doing my research to figure out what breed(s) to get. I've got their names decided on (Maggie, Millie, Molly and May).

This is a great forum and I look forward to learning from others and also contributing as I can.

2. michelle1017

michelle1017 Goat Mama

Aug 21, 2008
    Missouri
    [​IMG] I am sure you will find this is the place for the info!

3. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

Welcome! [​IMG]

4. WELCOME Glad to have you [​IMG] marrie

5. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] I love your username and future chicken names!!

6. purelypoultry

purelypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    Fremont, Wisconsin
    Welcome to the chicken world!

Will you get the bird flu?

7. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    I am in Thurmont MD. I currently have numerous breeds. I am building an Incubator and I hope to hatch some babies from SpeckledHen (Blue/Black/Splash Orpingtons, Barred Rocks). I am also going to be hatching really nice Deleware's as my test hatch. A lady I recently met has a beautiful flock of Delawares and is going to give me some eggs. I also hope to hatch some Maran eggs from PeaChick. I also have a Blue Ameracauna pair that I hope to hatch from also.

I will sell you a hen from any of those hatches. Let me know if you are interested. I understand that you most likely want variety in your four hens.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2008
  8. kbarrett

kbarrett Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2007
    PA
    [​IMG]

9. LilBizzy

LilBizzy Chicken Storyteller

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    Welcome chicken Salad. I like that name ! I'm over in Eastern MD.
    This forum is great!

10. portlandpeeps

portlandpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Portland Oregon
    welcome! You've come to the right place to gather lots of good information on everything chicken. You might say this place is a regular chicken salad...so your name is a metaphor here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by